Question

user authentication for a network which has windows 2003 server

By rejijacobvarkey ·
hi,
Is it possible to configure a user authetication from the windows server.I will make it clear.when a computer switch ON it will search for ip address from the server.If there is dhcp server,it can get ip address from the server.I would like to authenticate the user, when it try to get them ip address from the dhcp server which is configured in windows 2003.In short dhcp server has to get connected with active directory .Is it possible in windows platform

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

I don't think so.

by bart777 In reply to user authentication for a ...

DHCP has to be completed first.
The way DHCP functions it does not require authentication. It will just respond to any request that is broadcast on the network.

Once the address has been added the authentication can commence. At that point you wuld need to start that process.

If the object is to keep unautorized machines from getting IP's from the server you would have to do some extra configuration on the server. That might be a bit too intensive tho since you would need to set reservations for every IP address in the pool to a MAC address in the network.

Collapse -

thanks for the reply

by rejijacobvarkey In reply to I don't think so.

In linus my friend has configured a similar thing, In that if a user clicks the intrenet explorer it will ask for username and password, adn the users can use any system for browsing, only thing is they have to their username and password when they click on ie. Is it possible in windows server also.

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)