Question

User permission on server 2003

By waltrowe ·
I have a user that accesses a folder that is shared on a server running server 2003 std edition. The user can access some files in the folder but cannot access others, gets a error access denied.

The user has the correct permissions on the security tab under properties on the server yet she cant access some files. On her local machine sometimes under the securities tab her name is not there. When I add it , she can access the files.

No here is the strange thing. It may work for a day , but when she reboots the following day her permissions disappear again? Any help would be greatly appreciated

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Are you running

by cmiller5400 In reply to User permission on server ...

Are you running a domain or workgroup setup?

Collapse -

domain

by waltrowe In reply to Are you running

Sorry its a domain

Collapse -

You may want to try

by cmiller5400 In reply to domain

You may want to try to reapply the permissions on the files. Warning: this will overwrite all permissions on all files and folders under the folder done.

Go to the security tab. Set the permissions the way you want them. Apply them. Then click advanced. Then choose the option to "Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects." This should reset all folders and files to what you have specified.

If this does not work, I would consider deleting the user and recreating her in the domain. Warning on deleting a user: If they have any encrypted files, make sure that they are decrypted before doing this. You can make the files inaccessible permanently. It may be wise to backup the private key, just in case.

Collapse -

will try that thanks

by waltrowe In reply to You may want to try

Ok will try that and will let you know

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)