General discussion

User Profiles on Windows 2000 not server

By donahuem ·
When setting up programs on a new PC how do I do it so that the programs, shortcuts, etc will be the same regardless of who signs on to the PC and also that the programs will work correctly. I initially thought that by copying the shortcuts over to the All Users folder and dropping it into the desktop folder that this would work, but i am told that even though the shortcuts are their the programs will not work properly. Please let me know

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ruedac In reply to User Profiles on Windows ...

Hello:

I also faced this problem about a month ago and resolved it in the following manner. First off, you need to sign in as userx and install all the programs you will need under this users I.D. Second, after you finish installing all the necessary programs, you must copy the contents of that users profile into the All Users folder. The reason that shortcuts will not work is because when you install the programs, they are written to the registry under whoever you are logged in as. Therefore, if you just create shortcuts, and log in as another person, windows will not know where to look. Hope this clears things up.

Collapse -

by donahuem In reply to User Profiles on Windows ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by tony.colgrove In reply to User Profiles on Windows ...

The "approved" MS why is this:
Log on with one account. I usually do the local admin account. Install all applications, create shortcuts, configure settings, etc...
Once this is done, right click My Computer and select the User Profiles Tab.
Select the configured account and choose Copy To..
Browse to the "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User" folder (It is a hidden folder, so if you are not showing hidden files and folders you cant browse to it, but you can just type it in.)
In the Permitted to Use area select Everyone.
Click OK. Accept the message about overwriting the existing folder.
Log off and let it go out to your users.
This way is recommended because when a new user logs on, their profile is created from the "default user" profile, which is already config'ed up for them.
This is also safer then copying to the All Users, because a user can now remove shortcuts, change some settings and not effect everyone on the computer only their profile.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums