Software

Question

USING WINDOWS 2000 AND XP AS A DUAL OS ON LAPTOP

By DDAYMEN ·
HELLO! I HAVE A PANASONIC TOUGHBOOK WITH WINDOWS 2000 FOR THE OS. I RECENTLY GOT A STREAMLINED VERSION OF XP, AND WISH TO INSTALL IT AS A SECOND OS. MY LAPTOP HAS ONLY ONE HDD, i'M NOT SURE HOW TO MODIFY THE HDD SO I CAN HAVE A DUAL OS. HOW CON I DO THIS?

THANKS,

DDAYMEN

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

re: Dual Booting

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to USING WINDOWS 2000 AND XP ...

First of all, TURN OFF THE CAPS LOCK. Typing in all CAPS is considered to be yelling in a text based environment.

Second, you'll need to make sure the laptop has the minimum requirements to run XP. And, you'll need to make sure there is enough room on the hard drive to hold both OS's.

Finally, here are a few articles you can start reading. There are MANY more around the internet which give you specific instructions on how to set up a dual boot environment. All you have to do is search for them. The main thing to remember is that you have 2000 first, you're adding XP. The instructions on how to setup dual boot depend on you remembering that.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/217210

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306559

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315233

Collapse -

reply to windows 2000 and xp as dual os

by DDAYMEN In reply to re: Dual Booting

sorry about the all caps bit, believe it or not i did not know this! or maybe i just forgot. anyway, thanks for the links, i will check them out. i also do not know how to create a partition on my hdd. the reason i wish to run windows 2000 and xp is because the version of xp i have is streamlined down, and if i do not like it eg. can't find toughbook touch screen driver for xp, etc. i will be able to delete the xp, and still have 2000 on my hd.

thanks,

ddaymen

Collapse -

re: Partitioning.....

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to reply to windows 2000 and ...

... if I'm not mistaken, Win2K does not have the native software for creating a partition on a drive that isn't already partitioned into separate drives. You'll need 3rd party software to do that for you.

Be sure to back up all of your important data before attempting to mess with existing partitions. And, be sure you've got the Win2K installation media. You could loose everything on the drive and have to start over.

Collapse -

Also check

by IC-IT In reply to USING WINDOWS 2000 AND XP ...

to make sure that you can find device drivers for XP.

Collapse -

Along with the good tip on finding the drivers

by Jacky Howe In reply to USING WINDOWS 2000 AND XP ...

I personally think that you would be better off running it in this environment. It will save a lot of problems later on when you decide that it is not what you want or you decide that you want to remove Win2000.

Virtual PC 2004 SP1

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=6D58729D-DFA8-40BF-AFAF-20BCB7F01CD1&displaylang=en

Collapse -

I really think

by tintoman In reply to USING WINDOWS 2000 AND XP ...

that Jacky's answer is the best solution for you.
Frankly I don't think you have a snowball in ****'s chance of doing this unless you wipe your drive and start from scratch, and with respect you don't appear to all that confident about what you are doing.
So try XP in the virtual pc environment before you do anything else and save yourself a load of grief!

Collapse -

dual os

by DDAYMEN In reply to I really think

thanks for the advice, i have downloaded virtual pc, and will try it that way. i hope the download comes with instructions. nd yes you are correct about my confidence in this project, my knowledge of computers is limited to the programs i use at work/home etc. allthe other things, logic/partitions/what you can and cannot do
etc. are beyond me. but i am capable of following directions on these matters. my specialty lies in the heart/lung area (my job).

i will post my results!
thanks again,

ddaymen

Collapse -

Everyone has to start at the beginning of each

by Jacky Howe In reply to dual os

endeavour.

<i>If you think that any of the posts that have been made by all TechRepublic Members, have solved or contributed to solving the problem, please Mark them as <b>Helpful</b> so that others may benefit from the outcome. </i> :-bd
<HR>
<b>How do I rate the answers to my posted Question?</b>
Click on the answer. Click the Mark "Helpful" button displayed below the post. You may mark more than one answer as "Helpful."