General discussion

Using Windows 2000 on different LANs

By RRomig ·
I have a laptop running W2K Professional. The laptop has a built-in NIC and I would like to use it on both my company's network (Novell) and my network at home (Microsoft) without having to change my network settings everytime I switch networks. TheNovell network at work uses TCP/IP and IPX/SPX and the home network is TCP/IP and NetBEUI. On the Novell network I used the laptop docked and undocked, at home, undocked only. Is there a way to set up a profile or something with the settings for each network?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by pschuvie In reply to Using Windows 2000 on dif ...

Take a few minutes to try out this handy utility program Netswitcher - it is used by many mobile users with multiple networks and has proven to be the simple solution.

www.netswitcher.com a very inexpensive highly useful solution.

HTH

Collapse -

by RRomig In reply to Using Windows 2000 on dif ...

I downloaded it and tried it but I could not log into my domain. I have NetWare services disabled in the hardware profile but I still get the Novell login and it still tries to log into a nonexistetn NDS tree.

Collapse -

by estebandelatorre In reply to Using Windows 2000 on dif ...

You will need to create 2 profiles called "from home" and "from work"
The most important issue is that you will have to shutdown w2k while moving from site to site in order to ler w2k ask yfor a profile at boot time.
Rename your current default (at work) profile as "from work", then make a copy of it as "from home".
Restart your system and select from home and remove all unused protocols and clients, change ip address and mask, etc, etc. Go home and boot system and finish completing the configuration.
Hope it helps.
(What I've done at home was define the same ip address network as i have at work, so no problems)...

Collapse -

I'll give that a try.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)