General discussion

VAIO PCVR526DS

By rgravelle ·
I am trying to help a friend update his computer.I am very nervous about proceeding.Sony
is not known for its support.This particular
motherboard is made by ASUS and is a P2B-AE which
does not show up on the ASUS website.This computer
needs a BIOS upgrade, but SONY no longer supports
this unit.As far as I can tell, it never has.I went to the VAIO VILLAGE and one person used the
latest bios from a VAIO547 to update his pcvr526ds. He says it seems to work OK. Has anyone out there in computerland ever attempted
this?The present bios does not support large drives.Hope someone can help!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

VAIO PCVR526DS

by TheChas In reply to VAIO PCVR526DS

Since Sony does not support a new BIOS for the system, you are left with 2 other good ways to deal with this issue.

My recommendation is to add in a new PCI IDE controller card. Not only will it support larger hard drives, it will also allow forthe full rated file transfer rate from the drive.
I have seen both ATA100 and ATA133 cards for under $30.

The other alternative is a "custom" BIOS from a 3rd party vendor like www.unicore.com
However, at $60 for a download version, I would put the money towards a newer motherboard instead.

Chas

Collapse -

VAIO PCVR526DS

by saihib In reply to VAIO PCVR526DS

Why don't you just use drive overlay software from the disk manufacturer. You can download it from their websites if it didn't already come with the drive. It fools the BIOS and allows you to run larger drives. It doesn't matter if the BIOS doesn't see the correct size as long as Windows does.

Collapse -

VAIO PCVR526DS

by rgravelle In reply to VAIO PCVR526DS

Poster rated this answer

Back to Desktop Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)