Question

Video Card update for eMachines T3646

By vincentcecelia ·
I have a friend whose emachine desktop(T3646) is in need of a new graphic card. The statistics says it has a PCI-E x8 slot and I read on another website that it will accept a PCI-Ex16 card but only run at 8x speed. I just want to doublecheck to see if this is true BEFORE i buy the video card and the power supply. The main stats for the desktop is below.

[CPU: AMD Sempron? LE-1250 single-core processor
(2.2GHz, 512KB L2 cache, 1600MHz system bus)
Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista? Home Basic with Service Pack 11
Chipset: NVIDIA? GeForce? 6100
Memory: 1024MB 667MHz DDR2 dual-channel memory (1 ? 1024MB)
Expandable to 2GB
2 DDR2 slots total, 1 DDR2 slots available
Hard Drive: 160GB SATA II (7200rpm, 8MB cache)2
Optical Drives: 16x DVD?R/RW Supermulti drive
Up to 8.5GB with dual-layer media
Write max: 16x DVD?R, 8x DVD?R DL, 8x DVD?RW, 12x DVD-RAM, 48x CD-R, 40x CD-RW
Read max: 16x DVD-ROM, 48x CD-ROM, 8x DVD-ROM DL
Video: NVIDIA? GeForce? 6100 integrated graphics
Up to 128MB shared video memory
PCI Express (PCIe x slot available for upgrade]

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

yes you can

by steff16 In reply to Video Card update for eMa ...

But the down side is the 16X is more expensive and its only going to be used to half of it ablity

Collapse -

Using the 16X and video card limits

by vincentcecelia In reply to yes you can

If I can use the 16X video card, should I only stay in midrange cards (i.e. 8600 -8800 GT) or am I able to go up to higher levels (9600 GT etc) if I have the proper power supply?

Collapse -

You can use whatever you like here

by OH Smeg In reply to Using the 16X and video c ...

Though I would recommend a Decent Power Supply like one of the Antec Brand as they are considerably more stable and offer much better protection.

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?Series=MjQ=

As for the Video Card It all depends on what the person is using the computer to do fit a suitable Video card to suit their needs though there is no need to go overboard either. You need to look at the actual Video Card so if they play a lot of 2D games one of the 1 GIG Memory 3D Gaming cards will not be as good as something much older and slower as the new cards do not support 2D gaming anywhere near as well as what they replaced.

However as a starting point I would be Upping the amount of RAM as that itself will be the cheapest improvement that is possible to perform. After that everything that you do while improving the speed will not be as noticeable.

Col

Collapse -

Thanks

by vincentcecelia In reply to You can use whatever you ...

I did plan on getting new power supply for the guy along with the video card. I just have to make sure that the video card fits his case and we keep within his 130 budget. He plays 3d games but nothing more advanced then the sims 2 (soon to be 3).

Back to Hardware Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)