Question

Virtual PC 2007 & Windows 7

By Healer ·
I tried to install Virtual PC 2007 on Windows 7. I didn't use Virtual PC 2009 because my computer did not have the virtualization-assisted hardware. I am aware there is no documentation saying they support each other. I just want to be sure of my understanding. I got the error message entitled Virtual PC 2007 SP1. It went on to say "The upgrade cannot be installed by the Windows Installer Service ...". I am not sure if I had the SP1 only hence the problem or the software plus SP1.

Can somebody confirm I have downloaded the correct software? The filename I have is VPC2007x86-KB969856.exe. I don't remember if I have somewhat modified the filename to make it more descriptive.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Did you attempt to install that file only?

by seanferd In reply to Virtual PC 2007 & Windows ...

That is just an update. You need the install file for VPC2007.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=04D26402-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6&displaylang=en
However, it does not list Win7 as a supported OS.

You'll probably need to
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

But Virtual PC 7, the VPC which works with Win7, does require hardware virtualization. You may be out of luck here.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/04/30/virtual-pc-for-windows-7-for-virtual-machine-or-xp-mode-free-download-kb958559/

Perhaps something from VMWare, QEMU, KVM, VirtualBox, etc.

Collapse -

A service patch only!

by Healer In reply to Did you attempt to instal ...

I suppose you meant that the file I had was a service patch only. I shall download the setup file soon. At the moment the computer I want to use for this purpose has just gone kaput. I am sending it out for warranty repair. I shall try it again as soon as it comes back. Thanks!

Collapse -

When it rains, it pours, eh?

by seanferd In reply to A service patch only!

Best of luck to you.

It seems Jacky's suggestion of VPC2007 on a Vista partition is your best fit when you get your system back.

Cheers!

Collapse -

Part of our correspondence

by Jacky Howe In reply to Virtual PC 2007 & Windows ...

When I try to run Virtual PC 2007 or Virtual PC 2009 in W7 on the System that doesn't support either Virtualization Technology or Hyper Threading Technology, I get this error message.

Windows Virtual PC requires hardware assisted virtualisation. There is no hardware assisted support in the System.

Maybe the final release of W7 will allow you to use Virtual PC 2007, we will have to wait and see.

It looks like the final release doesn't support Virtual PC 2007 without hardware assisted virtualisation. I did try all of the versions of MS Virtual PC, that's why I would suggest Vista to run it in.

Collapse -

Response

by Jacky Howe In reply to Part of our correspondenc ...

Virtual PC 2007 can be used with Vista or XP

If you install and test Windows 7 on a HyperV System you will find that there is another addon that you can install to the MS Virtual PC that is a full blown copy of XP Pro SP3. Admittedly it's a virtual Machine but it works OK and it's free. These are the latest downloads.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=5091

Windows Virtual PC RC

Brief Description
Windows Virtual PC (RC) is the latest Microsoft virtualization technology that allows you to run many productivity applications on a virtual Windows environment, with a single click, directly from a Windows 7-based PC

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=4c3a0944-a2e6-4f01-9c57-5b55885875cc

Windows XP Mode RC

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=45&p=3&SrcDisplayLang=en&SrcCategoryId=&SrcFamilyId=4c3a0944-a2e6-4f01-9c57-5b55885875cc&u=details.aspx%3ffamilyid%3d487F1E8B-F868-4C1E-A047-1B2306C0F592%26displaylang%3den

A lot of older software isn't compatible with Vista or W7. For instance I have Magic ISO that will not run in either newer OS. My antiquated RegSnap will run in all of the OS's. It doesn't seem that long ago that we had the same problems with XP.

My main system doesn't support either Virtualization Technology or Hyper Threading Technology that is probably why W7 won't let me install Virtual PC 2007 or Virtual PC 2009. I'll be going to Vista on this System.

The System that does support Virtualization has Virtualization Technology enabled but it doesn't support Hyper Threading Technology. I'll be installing W7 on this System in the near future.

When I try to run Virtual PC 2007 or Virtual PC 2009 in W7 on the System that doesn't support either Virtualization Technology or Hyper Threading Technology, I get this error message.

Windows Virtual PC requires hardware assisted virtualisation. There is no hardware assisted support in the System.

Maybe the final release of W7 will allow you to use Virtual PC 2007, we will have to wait and see.

In a virtual environment you can Map to a Physical drive. I had no problems connecting from a Virtual Machine running XP Pro on an XP Pro System, mapping a drive on Windows 7. I could even use remote access to connect to the Virtual Machine from W7.

What about Vista SP1 on Windows Virtualization on Windows 7? It should run in that environment.

Vista will run in Virtual PC 2007 on an XP or Vista System that has the necessary hardware.

Collapse -

I've got Magic ISO running OK in W7 Pro ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to Response

Version 2.7 (Build 106)

Runs in both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
My system's got both virtualization hardware and hyper-threading though.

The virtual optical drive that causes problems is Daemon Tools. It keeps causing a system pop-up to appear saying that there is an incompatibility with Windows 7.

Typo.

Collapse -

My version of Magic ISO

by Jacky Howe In reply to I've got Magic ISO runnin ...

isn't compatible with Vista or W7.

I've been using Virtual Clone Drive for awhile now with Vista and W7. I haven't had any problems with it.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/Virtual-CD-DVD-Rom/Virtual-CloneDrive.shtml

Collapse -

I will certainly

by Healer In reply to Response

try to have the Windows 7 dual boot with Vista and install Virtual PC 2007 on Vista and give it a spin. I wonder virtual PC 2009 would work on Vista though.

Collapse -

I haven't tried to install

by Jacky Howe In reply to I will certainly

VPC 2009 in Vista as I thought that it was a W7 edition.

Collapse -

Ok

by Jacky Howe In reply to Part of our correspondenc ...

What about Vista SP1 on Windows Virtualization on Windows 7? It should run in that environment.

Vista will run in Virtual PC 2007 on an XP or Vista System that has the necessary hardware.

I actually asked if you had installed Virtual PC 2007 on Windows 7 before?

No, it wouldnt let me install on a System that didn't support Virtualization Technology. I didn't bother installing Virtual PC 2007 with Windows 7 on the system that supported Virtual PC 2009.

What was your experience?

It worked Ok, and was easy enough to setup.

What have you done so far with this virtualization?

Not a great deal as I just wanted to see if it worked.

Have you installed XP or Vista or anything else on it?

I only setup Windows XP Mode and Vista Basic to see how they performed. They appeard to perform well enough.

Back to Software Forum
13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next