General discussion

Virtual Server 2005 - Guest OS access issue.

By Travis Hanson ·
Host: W2K3 SP2 w/Virtual Server 2005
Guest: W2K3 Ent R2

I am having access troubles with my Guest OS. The Guest joined domain successfully. I can see my network resources just fine, but when I try to run an executible it fails.

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Even when copying the executible to the Guest and running there generates the same error.

I know there is something up with the delegating of rights between the Host and Guest but I cannot seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Check your domain security policy...

by jmonroe In reply to Virtual Server 2005 - Gue ...

When a guest is running inside of a host, it is completly isolated from the host as if it were running on it's own hardware. That's the whole point of virtualization.

It sounds to me like your domain security policy got pooched... Esp since you say that the guest joined the domain successfully, and now you can run exe's.

More than likely, you have setup a "lowest accessable domain account" for SQL Server (or something of that nature) and had to define several local rights policies for that domain account.

"Bypass traverse checking" is a big one that royaly screws things up.

What you need to do is go back to all of those settings in the domain policy administrator, and everywhere that you have defined a new policy for that domain account, also add "Administrators" "Everybody" and "pre-2000 account settings" or something of that nature.

If you look in event viewer, you'll more than likely find several issues with services failing to start like "Volume Shadow Copy" and "DCOM" and others.

Collapse -

Solution ???

by chatzke In reply to Virtual Server 2005 - Gue ...

Hi,

I am having the exact same problem also in a VS enviroment. Did you ever find a solution to this ?

Thanks

Collapse -

No Virtual Server Problem

by mr_kilkenis In reply to Solution ???

This has nothing to do with Virtual Server, neither the host or the guest.

You should uncheck Internet Explorer Enhanced Security from Windows Components in your "Add or Remove Programs".
This will solve your problem.

Good Luck

G.P.

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)