General discussion

Visio 2000 Professional

By TZapf ·
I've been researching some network discovery and mapping software such as HP Openview and What's Up, I've seen what Microsoft has to offer in Visio 2000 Professional but I haven't been able to demo it, is anybody using it or heard anything good/bad feedback of people using it?? I really need to map our network here and keep an active database of all of the devices currently in use.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Visio 2000 Professional

by budnelson In reply to Visio 2000 Professional

I use it all the time. It is relatively user-friendly, there are a ton of templates available from 3rd party sources as well as from Microsoft's website. 2000 has an auto-discovery feature that works reasonably well. I have seen some problems when using older topologies and some VPN software.

Collapse -

Visio 2000 Professional

by TZapf In reply to Visio 2000 Professional

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Visio 2000 Professional

by bgeary In reply to Visio 2000 Professional

Visio is a great diagramming tool. It is an OK discovery tool. The discovery works based on SNMP, so how effective it is depends on wheter or not you use that protocol. There is also a frame-relay addon that does a good job of determining your DLCI's and mapping out your frame relay network if you use it.

But for the most part, almost all of the automatic diagrams I've tried in Visio are either unreadable (i.e. trying to map every device it finds on a single page) or incomplete.

However, I still use Visio for many of my diagrams, they are just manually maintained. One of the features I use alot in Visio is custom properties. This allows me to diagram all my incoming circuits and assign properties to it, such as circuit ID, vendor andsupport number that makes it much easier when calling for support on something than trying to form other kinds of notes.

Visio also comes in handy for flowcharts, database diagrams, office layouts and forms. I would highly recommend keeping a copy around, but I would

Collapse -

Visio 2000 Professional

Collapse -

Visio 2000 Professional

by david_harrity In reply to Visio 2000 Professional

Only Visio 2000 Enterprise Edition provides for automatically generating network diagrams from the discovered devices with new AutoLayout technology. You can order a demo of the Professional/Enterprise edition from Microsoft. I use Professional and create the network equipment manually.

Collapse -

Visio 2000 Professional

Collapse -

Visio 2000 Professional

by Brooks Campbell In reply to Visio 2000 Professional

I read your question yesterday and did not
relise that it would do the discovery. I had
Viso enterprise here and I installed it today
and tried it out. I must say do not use it, it is not very good, it did a realy poor job of discovering the network. I have been looking for software to manage and monitor the network here and I have tried HPOpenview Network Node Manager, Tivoli's node manager, CA's network IT pro, and MS SMS. Tivoli and HP had the best products Aprisma's Spectrum is probly the best of the pack but they do not have a demo. The other problem is that these programs do much more then what you probly want it to do.

Brooks Campbell

Collapse -

Visio 2000 Professional

Collapse -

Visio 2000 Professional

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to IT Employment Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)