Question

Vista Home and Windows 2003 Server Shadow Copies (or previous versions)

By zaphod828 ·
Do I see this right,

Windows Vista Home does not have the means to access Shadow Copies on its own (local) drives. Thats fine.

But it seems it also can't access Shadow Copies provided by a Windows 2003 Server over the network.

If so, is there a way around this? I tried installing the Shadow Copy client for XP, but no luck (not that I expected it to work).

I'd rather not spring for the business edition, since this problem involves 4 laptops which have access to a 2003 server with shadow copies.

Any Ideas? 3rd party programs?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Shadow Copy is enabled on Vista by default.

by CG IT In reply to Vista Home and Windows 20 ...

Vista has this built in and so you don't need to install the client program.

It's possible it's not enabled for the volume you want. Click start, right click computer choose properties, then choose system protection.

As far as storing the shadow copies on the server, redirect the my documents folder to the server shared folder and assign appropriate permissions.

Collapse -

Re: Vista has this built in

by zaphod828 In reply to Shadow Copy is enabled on ...

> Vista has this built in and so you don't need to install the client program.

This is what I thought. But when I right-click on the shared folder (exported by a 2003 server which has shadow copies enabled for this folder) I don't see the "previous versions" tab. In Windows XP professional (with the shadow copy client installed) I see said tab fine.

> It's possible it's not enabled for the volume you want. Click start, right click computer choose properties, then choose system protection.

Read again: The folder / volume is _not_ on the local machine. It is exported by a 2003 server. Only the client machine is Vista Home. And yes, the shadow copy service is enabled for said volume. see above.

As far as storing the shadow copies on the server, redirect the my documents folder to the server shared folder and assign appropriate permissions.

I don't know what you are talking about here. The shadow copies are stored on the server already. The server creates them. My guess is we are talking about different things. You seem to assume that I want shadow copies of my local hard drives. Instead I'd just like to access existing shadow copies created and exported by a server.

Collapse -

Shadow Copy Service for Shared Folders

by CG IT In reply to Re: Vista has this built ...

The shadow copy service for shared folders only works on a volume, not for particular shared folders. So the snap shot is of the volume and not the particular folder though the contents of a shared folder covered by shadow copy service is available.

redirect my documents means that client computers target path for the My Documents folder is to the shared folder on the server, not the local machine. That shared folder on the volume covered by shadow copy service for shared folders and the documents contained in it would then have the previous versions available.

you don't "export" shadow copies of the local machine volume to a shared folder on a server and then access it via the shadow copy service. As previously stated the shadow copy service for shared folders takes a snapshot of a volume and not particular folders and it's a snap shot of shared folders on the server. Not an "exported" copy.

Collapse -

Ok, again

by zaphod828 In reply to Shadow Copy Service for S ...

Ok, again: I have a folder (on a volume, yes, that is snapshotted by the VSS on a 2003 SERVER). This folder is shared. I can access this folder over the network with my XP machines and when I right-click on an XP machine with the shadow copy client installed the "previous versions" tab shows up.

If I do the same on a Vista Home machine (accessing the server's shared folder) I do NOT get the "previous versions" tab.

The Laptops are taken home, so why on earth would I want to redirect their My Documents folders to the server. I assume they can't access My Documents without access to the server, right? Plus, the laptops are Vista Home machines, so no Domain Logon (and no roaming profiles and their offline caching).

And all the while its not the My Documents folder I am talking about here anyway. The folder exists since a long time on the server and is used to store shared documents with coworkers.

It works fine from XP professional machines (also not in a domain, just workgroup), but not from Vista Home.

Hence my question: Is there a way to ACCESS (not create) shadow copies from Vista Home over the network?

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)