Question

Vista's not recognizing my Kodak DC290

By Yotraj ·
I plug the USB camera (Kodak DC290) in, my Laptop makes the sound of recognition and indeed, going to device manager I see the camera listed there, but I can't see it anywhere (Explorer, Corel8, Photostyler, or any of about 6 other places I should be able to see it from including Kodak's own Easyshare program. Kodak offers only a firmware update, and it contains no driver. Camera works fine in another XP machine. Anybody got a clue? thansk! John R.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Google

by oldbaritone In reply to Vista's not recognizing m ...

Kodak DC290 driver

I saw a lot of entries, but it looks like an older camera that Kodak may not have bothered making Vista drivers for it.

As you said, works fine in XP, but not Vista.

Welcome to the world of planned obsolescence.

Sorry.

:-(

Collapse -

Thanks for the reply!

by Yotraj In reply to Google

Oh I really hope not. I once had this problem with this camera with XP and can't remember what I did to fix it. I'm not sure it's a driver problem, maybe more a USB problem (setting of some sort). In it's heyday this was a really expensive camera and it's still in such great shape and takes such great pic.s that I sure don't want to have to relearn another one. Thanks for the reply! John R.

Collapse -

You are misinterpreting what a Firmware Update is ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to Vista's not recognizing m ...

Your comment of "Kodak offers only a firmware update, and it contains no driver." clearly indicates that you don't understand what a Firmware Update is.

The reason that the Kodak download doesn't contain a Driver, is that the Firmware Update - updates the internal driver within the camera itself which, I anticipate, would then make the camera compatible with Vista.

I might be wrong but I've seen Kodak do this sort of thing before.

Collapse -

Thanks for the reply!

by Yotraj In reply to You are misinterpreting w ...

BUT, whereas the puter will see the device in device manager, it will see it nowhere else and since it won't see it anywhere else, I can't apply the firmware update either! for instance, here's their instructions for installing the firmware : 1 - PREPARING TO UPDATE THE FIRMWARE
------------------------------------
To prepare the camera

1. Copy all picture files from the camera memory card to your
computer hard disk and then delete the pictures from the card.
The camera memory card must provide sufficient space for the new
firmware files to be copied.

2. Place fresh batteries in the camera. You want to make sure that
the camera does not lose power during the update. If you have an
AC power adapter, use it during the update.

Problem is, I can't SEE the camera even in Explore.

Many thanks for your reply though.

John R.

Collapse -

You are still missing the point! ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to Thanks for the reply!

You've posted the answer but still cannot SEE it -

"1. Copy all picture files from the camera memory card to your
computer hard disk
and then delete the pictures from the card.
The camera memory card must provide sufficient space for the new
firmware files to be copied."

You are required to REMOVE the memory card from the camera!!

Here's the instructions:
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/digCam/dc290/ownerManual/ch18.shtml#79242

The Kodak instructions assume you have a card reader. You use the card reader to transfer the pictures (that's what I do anyway) from the memory card, then you wipe the memory card and apply the firmware update to that memory card.

When you place the memory card back inside the camera - you have updated the camera - it reads its new instructions from the memory card.

The devil is in the detail. When you read instructions you need to actually READ THEM.

Edit for LINK.

Collapse -

Yes & No

by Yotraj In reply to You are still missing the ...

I agree the devil is in the details. And I agree that Kodak (more or less) says you need a card reader although they also allude to being able to use the "KODAK DC290 Camera Mounter software or a card reader." that from the instructions that come with the firmware upgrade. I do a site search for camera Mounter software and find none for my camera! So OK, I guess it's a card reader I must need EXCEPT, I had this same problem long ago when I first went to XP! I only wish I could remember just what I did then. I also remember trying to do a firmware upgrade then too, and not being successful at it, and finally not needing it. Thanks for the reply, I do appreciate it. john R.

Collapse -

No and No (again) ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to Yes & No

"And I agree that Kodak (more or less) says you need a card reader although they also allude to being able to use the "KODAK DC290 Camera Mounter software or a card reader." that from the instructions that come with the firmware upgrade. I do a site search for camera Mounter software and find none for my camera!"

Firstly - KODAK do NOT 'more or less' say anything. They clearly (and surprisingly articulately for KODAK) stipulate that you have a clear choice: either remove the CF card and place the firmware update on it before re-inserting the card in the camera ~or~ make use of the KODAK DC290 Camera Mounter software.

"I do a site search for camera Mounter software and find none for my camera!"

You won't find it doing a site search because the software you are looking for is ALREADY INSIDE THE CAMERA.

As the KODAK instructions clearly state:
Copying Files Using KODAK DC290 Camera Mounter Software

1. Turn on the camera and set the "Mode" dial to "Connect".
2. Navigate via Windows Explorer or My Computer to the System folder within the camera memory card. If the System folder does not exist, you will need to create one.
3. In the folder on your hard disk where you copied the extracted firmware files to, select the following files:

d2900104.bin
rs290104.bin
update.cam
update.crs

4. Copy (or drag) these files to the camera System folder.
5. Proceed to section 3 "Running the Update Application on the Camera." - dah dah, dah dah, dah dah.

Clearly KODAK suggest using 'KODAK DC290 Camera Mounter Software' method, assuming that the PC can actually SEE the camera when connected via USB cable - in this instance that is not an available option for you since Vista cannot see the camera - that is why you need the Firmware Update.

You can pick up a USB Multi-Card Reader for almost pennies these days.

Or you could take the rather obvious alternative route and STOP using the USB hook-up! Just transfer your photos using the card reader that you're going to have to buy anyway.

Edit for layout

Collapse -

Gonna Hafta!

by Yotraj In reply to No and No (again) ...

So I plugged into my XP system. In explore (as per instructions) I see the camera, and I retrieve all pics from it while in there. I then look for a "systems" folder. there is none. I then try to create a new "system" folder by going to "file" then "new" then "folder" but wait! I don't even get to "file" "new" because the dropdown for "file" doesn't even contain "NEW"! Ain't that a kick in the pants. I guess I could drop to dos and create one from there... maybe. But who wants to try as it might mess something else up and I can download now, as it is, with my XP. So, look's like I'm gonna hafta get a card reader. BUT, as I recall, previously, when I was using XP originally, I had this problem and as best as I can recall, which the older I get the worse that gets, it was cured with a TWAIN issue. But so much time in research, so much time wasted. I'll go get a reader. Thanks for your replies. John R

Back to Hardware Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)