General discussion

VNC and Win 2000 Server

By jsecking ·
I have been using the very friendly program VNC on our Win NT servers for serveral years. With our converstion to Win 2000 Server, I am trying to include VNC in this rollout. I have not been able to make successful connection with VNC and Win 2000 Server. Do any have to the "trick" to will allow this connection to be completed?
Thanks is advance......

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by goransv In reply to VNC and Win 2000 Server

I am using VNC from a win 2000 pro to connect to another win 2000 pro, and that works fine. But how it?s with servers I don?t know. Are you using the latest version?

Personaly I suggest that you use Terminal Services instead. You have it on the win 2000 server cd and it?s faster than VNC.

Collapse -

by dreadman In reply to VNC and Win 2000 Server

I have numerous Win 2k servers running VNC sucessfully. First, VNC will not start until it has a password assigned. On one of your servers, open the Services console, locate the VNC service and stop it. Now start it up again. It may ask you to provide a password: if so, follow the prompts.

Otherwise, go to a desktop machine, and run the VNC viewer. This program (vncviewer.exe) doesn't even need installing. You can just pull it out of the zip file & run it. Assuming you didn't specify a port for VNC on the server, you should only need to put the server's name or IP address in the viewer to connect. Still not working? Let's check thsat the port is open. from a command prompt (still on the workstation) type "telnet <servername> 5800" You should get a blank screen with a flashing cursor in the TLH corner. This indicates that port 5800 is open on the server.
If it comes back with "Connecting To <servername>...Could not open a connection to host on port 5800 : Connection failed" then VNC is NOT running on the server. Try re-installing it. let me know if you need more help

Collapse -

by bam86_be In reply to VNC and Win 2000 Server

VNC is running fine on our W2K servers but think to install WinVnc as a service.
Another way is to use Windows Terminal Services installed for remote administration : shipped with Win 2K server and no extra fee as long as used only for remote administration . The terminal server client is available on the microsoft web site and there is a useful web client too.

Collapse -

by Roger In reply to VNC and Win 2000 Server

Have you looked at Ultr@VNC? http://www.ultravnc.com will point you in the right direction. It is quicker than other versions of VNC software, and asks if you want to install it as a service as the install completes.

Collapse -

by IT-IS Manager In reply to VNC and Win 2000 Server

As another user stated, Terminal Services is much quicker and would be my first choice, I use both - but if you use VNC, make sure that both ports 5800 and 5900 are open in your firewall. Also consider the latest version of TightVNC it has a nice installer and appears a bit quicker than the standrad VNC.
http://www.tightvnc.com/

Collapse -

by hkphooey In reply to VNC and Win 2000 Server

I've had problems with VNC on windows 2k as well, but it seems that all incarnations of VNC are not made equal. Tight VNC (mentioned above) seems to work OK on some systems, but when I recently tried it in a mixed Windows 2000 / Linux environment I couldn't get a connection.

Instead I tried RealVNC http://www.realvnc.com/ which is also a free, multi-platform application, and that one worked first time.

I'm not saying its better, just that its worth trying a few different distributions of VNC until you find one that works.

Collapse -

by Ltop In reply to VNC and Win 2000 Server

I am using tightvnc (my preference) to connect from a nt workstation to a mixture of nt/w2k servers and nt w/stations.

As explained above, ensure there is a password entered when installing the program on the server and check that it is starting as a service. Also, the default on the machine you are connecting to is to reject the connection in 30 seconds unless someone sitting in front of the server can click on the "Accept" button.

If this is the case, you can open up the properties of tightvnc on the server, and click on the advanced button to access the default query settings and change the query default action to accept. You should then be able to connect remotely to the running server and log onto it.

regards

Collapse -

by sking In reply to VNC and Win 2000 Server

Which VNC app are you using? I'm using Ultr@VNC (http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net), along with VNC Admin Console (http://www.mast-computer.de) in a mixed network (Win 2000 Server/Professional, XP, 98, Mac OS X), and have no problems but some issues with some laptops in use by our sales force, which are running Win 2000 Professional. Those issues have tended to be network related, rather than caused by VNC. We're using this combination to access our Win 2000 Server machines with no problems, whatsoever.

Collapse -

by Gorgon In reply to VNC and Win 2000 Server

I've used VNC for some time on NT and more recently 2000 Server. The current dist. we use is RealVNC (nice refresh facility).

I agree with some of the others here in the TS is faster. What it lacks however is a means to get to Console0 (i.e. what you see when in front of the server). I located some good info on doing the following:

Use TS for remote desktop (with RPC security set to High)
Have VNC running as a service
Have two reg entries to: a) remove requirement to supply a password, and b) respond only to loopback requests. This means you rely only on Windows authentication (which is auditable).

(note - the same reg entries are/can be used in conjunction with SSH).

Any need to get to Console0 can then be done via TS followed by opening a VNC viewer on the remote desktop to "localhost" or "127.0.0.1". It can be a bit messy but useful to access items that are only accessible via Console0. Remember not to full screen VNC however unless you can find a way to pass the restore keycodes to TS :)
Cheers!

Collapse -

by Gorgon In reply to

(small typo - that's RDP - remote desktop protocol not RPC - I guess MS03-039 was on my mind)

Back to Windows Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)