General discussion

VPN Access with a PIX 520 firewall

By bbarthol ·
I have a Cisco PIX 520 firewall (version 5.3) and the VPN accessibility was never enabled on it. I'd like to start using VPN for our broadband users and eliminate our dial-up modem bank currently being used.

Questions I have:
1) What needs to bedone to configure the firewall to allow VPN access ?
2) Can Microsofts PPTP VPN client be used ?
3) We have a RADIUS server in place, how do I set the configure the firewall to authenticate the users to the RADIUS server ?
4) Where can I find theCisco VPN client to download ?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Aaron_Wurthmann In reply to VPN Access with a PIX 520 ...

I hate to answer questions with knowledge that I have not verified myself but... I am told that all of this is in fact possible with the latest IOS version. In order to get that or the Cisco VPN client and DES and 3DES keys (you need these in order to run VPN) you need to be registered with Cisco. I hear you are supposed to purchase support such as this through a 3rd party such as CDW.

Again.. I have not verified this. Here we use a PIX 515 and a 3DES, L2TP tunnel with the Cisco/Safe Net client. Though we are looking into switching back to PPTP (less overhead), and using a Radius server. One of my collegues, who is not here atm, says all of this is possible with the 515 and the latest IOS. I don't see why the 520 should make a diff I believe they use the same IOS versions.

Collapse -

by bbarthol In reply to VPN Access with a PIX 520 ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by cdcents In reply to VPN Access with a PIX 520 ...

2. Yes Microsoft's VPN client can be used.
3. Funk software's Steel Belted RADIUS server was the only one tested as per Cisco's documentation
4. You must be registered with CCO and then you should be able to follow links on their site to download the client

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Security Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)