General discussion

VPN At Windows 2000

By teo ·
I am using windows 98 vpn client to connect to a VPN server. The windows 98 is using dial up to the internet. On the second connection using the vpn adapter, there is an error "The microsoft dial up adapter is in use or not responding properly. Disconnect other connections anf then try again'. Click ok will show the next error 'You have been disconnected from the comoputer you dialed'

Can I know how to fix the problem. I have installed dun 4 but still cannot work

Thank you

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

VPN At Windows 2000

by Aaron_Wurthmann In reply to VPN At Windows 2000

I have seen this before, so lets go over the basics.

1) Your Title of this questions says Windows 2000, but your question says Windows 98. For the sake of argument I will assume that you are using Windows 98.
2) Did you add VPN/PTTP correctly. Start->Settings->Add Remove Programs->Windows Set Up->Telecommunication->VPN. After install restart.
3) Before we start the setup lets make sure that all is well in the Network Settings. Right Click on Network Neighborhood select Properties. Find theMS VPN adapter, check the bindings poke around. IF THERE IS NO VPN ADAPTER... add it manually. Make sure you go find that Windows 98 install CD first.
4) Then My Computer-> Dial-up Networking->New Connection-> Select the MS VPN adapter->blah blah blah.
5) Right click the New Connection you just created, select properties. Double check all of the settings in here are you using IPX, NetBuei and so fourth, cut the fat. Less to troubleshoot later.
6) Before we test this out, restart, and while coming back up keep th

Collapse -

VPN At Windows 2000

by teo In reply to VPN At Windows 2000

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

VPN At Windows 2000

by Aaron_Wurthmann In reply to VPN At Windows 2000

Oops too long...

6) Before we test this out, restart, and while coming back up keep this in mind.. Some VPN server require that you log on to your workstation via Windows Logon or MS Network Logon it then passes the pwl file in the payload. So.. logon to your machine as if you were in the office, even if there is nothing to validate your username and password.
7) Logon to your ISP and then VPN

Good luck

Collapse -

VPN At Windows 2000

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

VPN At Windows 2000

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)