General discussion

VPN in server 2003, Questions

By UserDeletedByRequest ·
I am thinking of implementing VPN onto our domain but i have a couple of quarries I hope somebody can answer for me!

I have 2 Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition domain controllers and they both hold curtail information, Eg User profiles, Mandatory Profiles, Documents & Common network drives.

I want to use VPN so the company laptops can access the network when away from our building.

Questions:

1. I understand that VPN uses an internet connection to get access to the remote network, do all computers on the domain start using the internet connection to access the servers, or can I make desktop computers to use the local area network to access the servers. I am asking this because if the event the internet connection went down would this bring my network to a stand still?

2. Would group policy settings carry over to the remote laptop connected to the VPN?

Thanks Alot

Zak Fleming

Email Address: zakflemingo@gmail.com

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

VPN connectivity in general!

by progroupsystems In reply to VPN in server 2003, Quest ...

The essence of VPN is to create a Virtual encapsulated 'tunnel' using a range of internet portals. Depending on whether you choose IPSec, L2TP, or by Windows default VPN protocol [the least secure by the way] PPTP, will govern how simplistic and/or secure your VPN is. But by creating an 'external' VPN tunnel to the corporate network does not have to impose how the LAN or 'internal' network devices gain access. Either by an 'intranet' to a locally hosted webserver, client/server, or workgroup environment. The use of GPO's are a good thing AND will affect Remote Users and Local Users if configured properly. Careful with Local Policy vs. Group Policy settings and whether or not you are using Active Directory. Certain aspects of domain policy management are overwritten in User Profiles, especially if accessing the Server via Terminal Services Client/RDP.

I use a tier system of Remote User vs. Domain User vs. Terminal Server credentials. A layered approach is far more secure than leaving the front door wide open for User convenience in my opinion. Better to have layers of authentication which is less work than one Username/Password combination.

Hope this helps a bit!

Collapse -

2003 VPN Configuration Tutorial

by cyberpsych1 In reply to VPN in server 2003, Quest ...

Here's a link to a tutorial I put together a little while ago to show how to configure a basic 2003 VPN server using PPTP:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,15190829

Ideally, you'll need to enusure the laptops are already part of the domain along with having the required group policies pushed to them prior to deploying them in the field.

Jay

Collapse -

Thanks Jay

Yes all the laptops are on the domian will i be able to make the desktop computer connect to the server via LAN? cheers

Collapse -

Tutorial Doesnt Work

For some reason the tutorial video doesnt open, i have installed the software but i stil get the same problem please can you try e-mailing it thanks

Collapse -

No Difference

by cyberpsych1 In reply to Tutorial Doesnt Work

If I email the link, it would still do the same thing. I just remembered you have to be a member of dslreports to watch any content (I believe). I'll look around and see if I've still got the actual video. If I do, I'll PM you and get it to you another way...

Jay

Collapse -

All Sorted

hello, its all sorted now thank you

Back to Networks Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)