General discussion

W ME Scandisk stops at sct 8157 of 21049

By Casemaker ·
Hi,
I am trying to run scandisk on a machine running W ME full version. It was getting a lot of error messages so I thiught I would begin here. There are no restore points to go back to and restore. I ran it from the ms dos prompt in ME because there is no option in shut down or in the f8 start menu. I said dont fix errors because I want to view them first. Any help?
Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Gregory Pleau In reply to W ME Scandisk stops at sc ...

Option 1) Obtain Norton Utilites 2001 and boot from the CDROM. There is a much better disk checking program there that can run without Windows interfering in one way or another.

Option 2) Tell Scandisk to fix the error. You may have a troublesome sector that Scandisk is getting hung up on and having that sector marked as 'bad' would enable scandisk to go around it.

Note 1) If you have indeed developed bad sectors, consider replacing the hard disk or moving it to a 'secondary use' that isnot essential to the operating system. Bad sectors are often a warning of impending drive failure.

Collapse -

by Casemaker In reply to W ME Scandisk stops at sc ...
Collapse -

It also locks up after it has been scanning for a while. The screen freezes but the mouse works. Cannot close out have to hit the power switch.

Collapse -

by Darkchilde In reply to W ME Scandisk stops at sc ...

Try this as well. Boot from a floppy disk and run scandisk without Windows interfering. If you have the original Win98/ME floppy disk there is a cab archive with scandisk and chkdsk in it.
Then if you find bad sectors fdisk and reformat the drive.Run scandisk from the floppy disk again. If scandisk finds bad sectors again then you have to replace the hard disk.
It has happened to me that a hard disk had bad sectors but they were "logical" not "physical". Once I reformatted it it worked fine.

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)