General discussion

W2000 Advanced Server - w32time error

By tico ·
I'm presently running Windows 2000 Advanced Server. I am constantly getting W32 Time errors on with event ID 62 and 64. Active directory is presently installed but our network is small one with 8 users and it bieng used as file server only. There are no other Domain controlers on the network. These W32 time errors are crashing the DHCP service therefore resulting in rebooting the server.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by rmccabe In reply to W2000 Advanced Server - w ...

Just installed Win2kAS in a lab environment.
Check out Article Q216734 in the MS Knowledge base. I've pasted the first paragraph below:

Windows 2000 includes the W32Time Time service tool that is required by the Kerberos authentication protocol. The purpose of the Time service is to ensure that all Windows 2000-based computers in an organization use a common time.

Windows 2000-based computers use the following hierarchy by default:

All client desktop computers nominate the authenticating domain controller as their in-bound time partner.

All member servers follow the same process as client desktop computers.

All domain controllers in a domain nominate the primary domain controller (PDC) operations master as their in-bound time partner.

All PDC operations masters follow the hierarchy of domains in the selection of their in-bound time partner.

Collapse -

by tico In reply to W2000 Advanced Server - w ...

need to know why i got errors

Collapse -

In the article it explains that the errors occur because your PDC is looking for a SNTP time server and none has been assigned. It can be external or internal.

Use the net time command as explained in the KB article referenced above.

Rob

Collapse -

I already tried the net time - domain - server - setsntp feature and I'm still getting the same error. I can not stop the w32time service from looking for an external server. Also my 9x clients are not schronizing with the server. I will send you an E-mail with screen shots "so you can see whats goin on". Thank you for your continuing effort to solve this problem.

Collapse -

by rathbodl In reply to W2000 Advanced Server - w ...

I've found that Windows 2000 is very sensitive to time - I had to set up the primary domain controller emulator as the authoritative time server, and then configure the other Windows 2000 servers to point to that server for their time. Doing this has eliminated the W32Time errors on all servers.

Collapse -

I already tried the net time - domain - server - setsntp feature and I'm still getting the same error. I can not stop the w32time service from looking for an external server. Also my 9x clients are not schronizing with the server. I will send you an E-mail with screen shots "so you can see whats goin

Collapse -

I did not have an external time source so I did the following:

net time /setsntp:192.168.1.5 (PDC ip addr)

w32tm /s

This cleared up the problem for me.

FYI, the 9x clients don't participate in this.

Rob

Collapse -

Worked like a charm thanks for your help!

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)