General discussion

W2000 can't access shared folders on DOS

By Cathy P ·
My Windows 2000 computer cannot access shared files on a MSDOS computer with the Windows for Workgroups update. I have installed TCP/IP, Netbeui, Client for Microsoft networks, and File and Folder sharing on the Win2000 machine.

Other computers on the network, Win95, Win98, WinME and NT4, can access the DOS computer without any problems.

Any ideas?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Cathy P In reply to W2000 can't access shared ...

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

by LordInfidel In reply to W2000 can't access shared ...

First question, WOW???? Ok enough of the small talk.

Let's get to the basics first. 2k is very much rooted in tcp/ip where msdos is based on netbios.

So the question here, assuming that your wow machine has a static IP, can you ping it from the 2k machine.

If yes, open up a browser window and type in
\\x.x.x.x (x=ip address)

What happens?

If you can not ping the WOW machine using IP, then the WOW machine probably wants to use netbios as it's primary reply mechanism.

Next verify that you have Netbeui installed on the 2k machine. (right click network neighborhood/properties/double click connection/properties/ if it is not installed, press install/ protocol and select netbeui.

Then open the command prompt back up andtry pinging it using its netbios name.

If all of this fails, make sure that you can ping the 2k's adapter. First ping it's loopback address, 127.0.0.1 then ping it's IP.

Good luck

Collapse -

One last thing...

Are you computers running in workgroup mode or are they in a domain.

Make sure that the 2k machine is set accordingly. (it can be changed in the network id location/properties or advanced/network id/properties)

Collapse -

The DOS computer does not an IP address. The 2K machine does have Netbeui installed. My computers are in a domain. I tried setting the 2k computer to use a workgroup but nothing changed.

But thank you for your sugestions.

It is too painful to explain why I have to use WOW and DOS.

Collapse -

What is the binding order of the protocols for the 2k machine.

Right click Net Neigh/properties/right click on the connection/propeties

Highlight Client for ms networks/properties/
Choose Advanced.

Look at the binding order. If tcp/ip is first, move it down and move netbios up to the top of the order.

press ok/ok/ok, you may have to reboot.

When it comes back up, ping another machine (98/NT) using it's netbios name. If you get a reply then ping the dos machine.

If you do not get a reply from the nt or 98 machine, then check the network cabling.

When in doubt always check the physical connection. If you still can not see ANYTHING via ping, try a different nic or cable.

In anyevent, Make sure that you can ping other things then just the dos machine.

Collapse -

Netbeiu is already above TCP/IP in the binding order.

I can ping other computers but not the DOS machine. I get the message "Unknown host". Even the computers that have no problem with the DOS computer can't ping it (They can see it in explorer). My boss said it's because the DOS machine does not have and IP address which is required for ping.

Collapse -

I apologize for going on about this, but after a little bit more research I beleive I found your answer. It has to do with the Master Browser.

This is taken from the MSDN--------

Computers Running Windows for Workgroups, Windows 95, and Windows 98 as Master Browsers
The files Vserver.386 and Vredir.386 on the installation CDs of Windows NT Server versions 3.51 and 4.0 are different from the files of the same names on the Windows NT Server version 3.5 installation CD.

In Windows 2000, these two files have been modified so that computers running Windows for Workgroups 3.11b, Windows 95, or Windows 98 can be master browsers for a network. This modification enables a computer on a network with computers running one of those three operating systems to browse Windows 2000 and Windows NT domains on other networks.

As the master browser for the network, a computer running Windows for Workgroups 3.11b, Windows 95, or Windows 98 communicates with the PDC of the domain to obtain the browse list for the entire domain.

A master browser on a computer running Windows for Workgroups 3.11b, Windows 95, or Windows 98 functions as if a master browser running Windows 2000 were on the network. It contacts the PDC every 15 minutes togive it the local network's browse list and to obtain the domain-wide browse list.

For a computer running Windows for Workgroups 3.11b, Windows 95, or Windows 98 to be a master browser, the computer and the PDC for the domain must both be WINS clients. The master browser must also meet the following conditions:

Be using TCP/IP
Be using WINS for name resolution
Be in a workgroup that has the same name as the domain

----------------------

The problem here is that if the dos machine does not have an IP but it is the master browser, the 2k machine will not talk to it.

Collapse -

The reason I asked about pinging other machines, is because I wanted to make sure that packets were leaving the nic and that the 2k machine can talk to other clients.
I do know that netbeui does not use ping because ping is a tcp/ip utility.

However ping can resolve netbios names to IP address'. Try pinging the netbios name of another computer that has an IP address bound to it.

Also... 2 other things you can try then I will get out of your hair. It is a long shot though.
1. Netbiosnames are limited to 8 characters.
If the 2k machine has more than 8 characters that can be an issue.

2. Set-up a wins machine and use it for name resolution.

But the easiset resolution to your entire dilemma is to make everything IP based. Since I am assuming that you are not connected to the net since you are using netbeui (a non-routable protocol). You might as well assign ip's from one of the private address ranges, and leave your netbeui woes behind you.

Again good luck and I will leave this alone now.

Collapse -

No, no don't go away. This is the 6th forum on various websites that I have posted to. So far you are the only one with any ideas. I don't think there is anyone out there networking to DOS machines anymore.

(Suddenly I feel lonely.)Yes I could sucessfully ping other computers using their netbios name, just not the DOS one.

Netbios names can 16 characters. Mine is 14.

What is a wins machine and how would I set it up for name resolution?

P.S. You've already earned the 300 points. I just don't want to close the question yet.

Collapse -

We were actually both wrong, netbios names can be 15 characters, I am not sure what I was thinking. I have the number 8 stuck in my head because I whenever a share is created with more than 8 characters the stupid warning comes up.

A wins machine (part of nt4 srvr) maps netbios names to ip. Which now that I think about it, is going to be a problem since your dos machine is not using IP.

The problem is definetly with the master browser list, it makes perfect sense as to why the 2k machine can't see the dos client.

2k needs those 3 requirements. Which is messed up because MS is saying, "Ok you can use the netbuei protocol, but if you want to talk to a master browswer to get the browser list, you have to use IP. So if the DOS machine is the master browser, and it does not have an IP, then 2k can't get the browser list.

But now as I think about this, If you have a NT wkstn box, you can force it to be the master browser.

Using the registry on the NT4 box, (insert registry editing clause here) you can force the NT4 box to be the master broswer.

I have no idea why the dos machine would be the master browser in this case because it is at the bottom of the os order.

Anyways in the registry, hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\browser\parameters\
(set the following)
MaintainServerList= Yes
IsDomainMaster= Yes

I would then reboot the NT4 machine, then the dos machine, then the w2k machine.

Back to Windows Forum
14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next