General discussion

W2000 dumps DOS program

By mikestjames ·
My company runs a DOS database that requires daily updating. These updates are done via modem, transfering all new files in from the UNIX box at the other end, then change processing after disconnect.

This program runs solidy in W95, W98, WNT4, and Wme with some adjustments for file handles and print buffers. In NT4, these adjustments are made in the CONFIG.NT file; in W98 and W95, in the CONFIG.SYS file, and in Wme in the 386Enh section of the SYSTEM.INI file.

We have a problem in W2k. The program runs rock-solid until we use the modem to connect to the UNIX box. It will receive files for a short time, then the program abruptly quits...no error boxes, no indictations of anything at all amiss. It just disappears off the screen and quits. If restarted, it will continue to receive files in short sessions until all files are received, but this might take five or six restarts. When all files have been received, change processing takes place with no further problems.

Can anyone help us figure out why modem activity in our DOS program causes it to dump in W2K? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

W2000 dumps DOS program

by savatovic In reply to W2000 dumps DOS program

Winnt 4.0 and consequently Win 2000 are designed differently from Windows 9x/Me with respect to handling hardware devices. In Win 9x/Me it is possible to directly communicate with hardware devices from the program and in Winnt and Win 2000 it is notpossible.

If your program worked with modem in Winnt 4.0 then I would check the modem. You would need to make certain test.

For start, use external modem and not internal (this is just during testing purposes).
On your external modem, use driver which is supplied with Windows 2000 (like "Standard 56000 bps V.90 Modem").

If that fails, I would try to redesign data transfer method. I would try to connect with protocol such as PPP or alternatively SLIP. In fact I already did it myself. We have call logging system on Unix. We make weekly reports to text files. We import this files to Excel. For that we use ftp. Nice thing with ftp in Windows is that you can invoke it with a script file.
Syntax is:
ftp -s:filename

In your filename you can have something like:

open server1
user anonymous password
binary
put local_file1.txt remote_file1.txt
bye

Collapse -

W2000 dumps DOS program

by kgosnell In reply to W2000 dumps DOS program

Well , the issue is Win 2K does not allow Dos operation , you will have to get a patch, but there is an issue with Microsoft about decompiling the software which will cause them not to supply support, contact Customer support and ask for the patch they recommend , also discribe the isssue to them as there may be more than a Dos issue involved. Also as a matter of course when something behaves srangely , do a Deep Scan for a Virus/Worm, doesn't hurt. Good luck.

Collapse -

W2000 dumps DOS program

by mikestjames In reply to W2000 dumps DOS program

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

W2000 dumps DOS program

by tjc In reply to W2000 dumps DOS program

what about having some out side windows program to do the update of the data files, since you said files, not that the program calls out and batch updates the internal data of the files..... Else I would suggest you see if they have a windows program to replace your dos program since with XP it will even be harder to fix, get on the band wagon now and update to windows apps!

Also you could try the start/run makecompat program and tell win2k that the dos program really needs win 95/98 to runand see what happens.

Collapse -

W2000 dumps DOS program

by mikestjames In reply to W2000 dumps DOS program

Poster rated this answer

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)