W2K Schedualed Task problemLocked
I have a problem I need some help with. I have a test lab of approximately 20 servers that are experiencing a strange problem that is wearing me out. All of the servers have scheduled tasks that frequently run. The problem is that suddenly, ever time they run, the CPU will peg at 100%, all connections will drop and the server is useless until the CPU is released. When I check task manager it shows one of three possible combinations of processes that are using up the CPU. Either mstask is 99%, explorer is 99% or one will be 50% and the other will be 49%. All servers are Windows 2000, SP4 and fully patched. The all have Symantec Corp. version 9 with up-to-date definitions. I have run Spybot-Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware to make sure there are no nasties lurking about. Netstat shows no unusual ports open. There is no strange traffic from any of the servers. Half of the servers are in the DMZ and half are not so it is not related to the firewall. I even created a task that does nothing to eliminate the SQL server, network, etc and even this task hangs the processor. I installed the latest version mstask.dll from Microsoft in the form of a hot fix (884028) to no avail. I do not want to open an incident with MS if I can help it but I am getting desperate. HELP!!!