General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

W2K “Trap 00000005”

by grj2000 ·

Your assistance is needed urgently.

I finished defragging a Compaq laptop (W2K Pro) with Norton Systemworks 2003, then downloaded mail and surfed a bit before shutting down the machine. All was fine.

The next morning on bootup I got am immediate black screen with the message “Trap 00000005 Exception” followed by several lines of hex. Now the machine won’t operate beyond that point.

I can’t get to the W2K boot screens. Compaq diagnostics doesn’t show any problems. The Recovery Console doesn’t repair anything, but sees my disk volume. However, Norton won’t scan for viruses via the CD because it doesn’t seem to be able to access the HD. I replaced the RAM sticks and removed all cables, etc.

I just get Trap 00000005 and Trap00000006 error messages. I CANNOT even get into Safe Mode.

None of my usual tech sources even mention these “Tech” errors and neither do the MS or MS TechNet knowledge bases.

Any suggestions on What went wrong and How to fix it without reinstalling the O/S.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

W2K “Trap 00000005”

by quintar51 ·

In reply to W2K “Trap 00000005”

Hi,

take a look at this document. It’s the Compaq Crash Analyze Tool.

good luck,

http://www.support.compaq.com/svctools/webes/docs/V4/ccat/ug/ccat_user_guide_windowstext.txt

W2K “Trap 00000005”

by mrjay67 ·

the only initial suggestions i can give is to try using last known good if you havent been able to login succesfully. If you have already logged in by chance than that wont change anything. If that doesnt work or is not an option try taking away all power. Disconect AC and pull the battery, let it sit for a minute or awhile anyway. give the system a chance to kinda reset itself. Boot back up and see if it works.
      If that doesnt do anything try reseting bios. Either go into bios and go back to factory defaults or take the BIOS battery and all other power out and let it sit again for a bit to reset itself. Ive seen the bios on some compaq laptops hold settings for a long time(5 minutes). There also is a function key you can hold down at boot, supposedly, on compaq laptops(like F11 or one not typically used) that is supposed to help reset some things. I couldnt find anything either on that error so try these at first if no one else knows anything specific. You might also try flashing the bios to see if that helps after you do these steps.

Oh, you could try taking out any PC Cards or unneccessary devices while booting but sounds like you might have already.

Hope this helps or gets you in a right direction

Jason

W2K “Trap 00000005”

by mrjay67 ·

also if you are able you might test another hard drive just to see if its related to the drive(either physiclly or OS) or the laptop hardware. If available put the drive in question in another like laptop to see if the same results occur.

W2K “Trap 00000005”

by mrjay67 ·

Ok so you got the laptop to boot with another HDD so at least the laptop itself seems OK. I would double check the memory though just to be certain. When you put the original drive back it failed again. Problem appears to be either with the drive or some configuration or corrupted system files. If you have ghost avialable you might see if it can at least see the partition so it could be ghosted just in case it is the drive. If you get a chance I would put the drive in another system as a slave to see if I could read any data on get any off. I know its a laptop drive but there are adapters if you havent seen them that will allow them to work in a desktop. Good for testing. So at least you are getting it narrowed down now. If you can slave it and get to the data consistently it likely isnt the physical drive but corrupted data instead. Some of the config files or the like could be bad or moved and the OS doesnt know where to find them. Im still at a loss personally on those trap errors you reported. IF Recovery console couldnt repair anything im not sure what else to tell you at this time with out a reinstall. Hopefully these steps will get you a better idea of what is going on.

W2K “Trap 00000005”

by mrjay67 ·

I found this link on compaqs site:
        http://communities.compaq.com/servlet/ProcessRequest?RHIVEID=121&RPAGEID=135&HOID=507900000008000000B8DA0100&UCATEGORY_0=_28_%24_10_&UCATEGORY_S=0&USEARCHCONTEXT_QUESTION_0=trap+0000000D&USEARCHCONTEXT_QUESTION_S=0

Obviously its long so make sure there are no spaces and it will give you a tip for doing a repair. It references Win XP but the procedure should be the same. If you already tried the repair in this manner then im still at a loss, I will continue to look for an answer.

W2K “Trap 00000005”

by mrjay67 ·

I can think of only one other thing right now and that is to run fdisk /mbr. I cant be certain that it will work or works right even with NTFS. I would make sure you can back up your data first. If you cant even get the drive to boot anyway you could try it once you have your data secure. It should help repair the MBR but I too figured Recovery Console would have at least found something.

W2K “Trap 00000005”

by grj2000 ·

UPDATE from GRJ2000:
      Still no luck. I swapped the W2K NTFS drive with a W95 drive and the laptop booted. I reinstalled the original W2K NTFS drive and now receive a TRAP 0000000D General Protection EXCEPTION message. I could not installthe NTFS drive (wouldn’t fit) in the spare laptop, so we’ll try it w/ another machine. Clarification: previously tried Norton Systemworks 2002 from the CD but it would not scan the HDD. Then used W2K Pro Recovery Console, which said it saw W2K in the operating system folder.

W2K “Trap 00000005”

by grj2000 ·

9/28 update from GRJ2000: In Re Trap 00000006 errors —
      Okay, we were able to install a different HDD in the affected laptop and put W2k pro on that, to get the machne running.
      However, the problem remans how to access the data on the original drive (with the Trap errors).
      We’ve ordered an adapter cable to connect the original laptop drive to a w2k pro desktop as slave. Perhaps we can pull the data off in this way. Question: If it was the MBR on the original drive that was corrupted, theRecovery Console would have repaired it, no? But since it didn’t/couldn’t — any guesses on the nature of the failure? I half expect to see a directory structure once the orig laptop drive is connected to the desktop,

Reply To: W2K “Trap 00000005”

by maxwell edison ·

by sativocomputerservices ·

There is a tool on the W2K Resource Kit CD, that fixes the MBR on the HD. I have had this error before on a Dell. Make a bootable Floppy and copy this tool on it. Also run scandisk /f to fix any file system issues. This should work.

by jason ·

To retrieve the data on that drive, you can do one of two things. The less expensive path, would be to use Norton Ghost, to get the data. There are switches in the dos console that will allow you to ignore the back sectors if they exist. If the drive is beyond that, you’re looking at sending it to Drive Savers. Expect to pay a pretty penny for that however.

by maxwell edison ·

Reinstall Windows 2000 over itself. Choose the “repair” option. This will replace or repair missing or corrupted files without damaging your settings or data.

by maxwell edison ·

Reinstall Windows 2000 over itself. Choose the “repair” option. This will replace or repair missing or corrupted files without damaging your settings or data.

Viewing 8 reply threads