Question

WD sata HDD 160G showing only 149G

By hackertaz2000 ·
i finally dicided to use XP! but the problem is when i format my WD sata HDD(160G)it show only 149G! how's that, i thought it would be only 8mb for the system to use.even when i use partition magic it's just the same.....

how can i use the maximum capacity of the drive?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Confusion over nomenclature. You are not alone.

by seanferd In reply to WD sata HDD 160G showing ...

Okay. HD manufacturers think a kilobyte is 1000 bytes. For everyone else, a kilobyte (sometimes referred to as a kibibyte (KiB rather than Kb)is 1024 bytes. See where the discrepancy comes in?

So, you are using the full capacity of the drive. You aren't doing anything wrong, you weren't ripped off, and nothing has changed.
I know its is confusing, sorry.

Enjoy your new drive!

Collapse -

This can clarify your doubt

by uppulurivasu In reply to WD sata HDD 160G showing ...

Actually, your hard drive is rated as 160GB (gigabytes), not Gb (gigabits),

Anyway, the issue is that there are actually two different ways of measuring a Gigabyte. In the natural way we humans count, 160GB ought to be 160 * 1000 * 1000 * 1000 bytes... and that is exactly what you have on your hard drive (once formatted, some of that will be used up, but nowhere near 11GB).

Another way to measure a Gigabyte is based on the fact that computer RAM always grows in powers of two... so in terms of memory, another sort of Gigabyte is measured as 1024 * 1024 * 1024, as 1024 is a natural power-of-two close to the 1000 we would use in normal counting. Your DRAM module is likely to be something like 2 * 1024 * 1024 * 1024 bytes, because of the nature of DRAM to come in power-of-two sizes... it's easier to just say "2 gigabytes", even though that's not technically correct.

And in fact, in internationally defined SI units, both sorts exist. Your hard drive is, in fact, an honest 160GB. It is also, however, 149.0116 GiB (binary Gigabytes, or Gibibyes). Your hard drive manufacturer told the truth, but Windows (and many other operating systems) will lie to you, and measure GiB but report this as GB. The correct use of SI units is understood by most engineers, but it's not "popular" knowledge.

Basically, kB/MB/GB are natural units for hard drive and other non-RAM storage, while kiB/MiB/GiB are natural units for memory-type storage. Either measure is fine, but it's confusing because your OS is not reporting the correct units.

Back to Hardware Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)