Question

wdf01000.sys

By hscowan ·
I have been trying to fix a problem with motorolla phone tools.
Part of the instructions their tech agent sent me was to rename wdf01000.sys to wdf01000.bak and reboot.
Well, doing so totally screws up the mouse & main logon screen. I had to use my Vista installation disk to boot and then perform a system restore.

Can anyone explain what wdf01000.sys is for? I tried a search but found nothing satisfactory.

tia,
Scott

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

WDF 01000 is essentially your keyboard drivers

by robo_dev In reply to wdf01000.sys

WDF = Windows Driver Foundation. These are the 'kernel mode drivers' used for XP and Vista.

Their tech agent was an idiot. Fiddling with Kernel Mode drivers is like doing brain surgery with a hammer.....

Some third-party keyboard/mice drivers (e.g. Logitech SetPoint) use their own version of this WDF driver.

My guess is that the brainiacs at Motorola wrote their app to assume that nobody would ever use anything but native Windows keyboard/mouse drivers and applications (duh).

Collapse -

It looks like a driver for

by The Scummy One In reply to wdf01000.sys

SetPoint SW, the instructions from Logitech warn not to reboot if this file is not present or some devices (keyboard/mouse) will not work.

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/logitech_en_amr.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=9525

Back to Windows Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)