General discussion

WEP Encryption works in 2000 but not XP

By wolverine ·
We have just installed a Wireless Network, and the Access Point (Netgear ME102) works perfectly with Windows 2000 Clients using ME401 Cards.

However, when entering the exact same information into a Windows XP Client, the Client drops off the Network, i.e., with No WEP on the Access Point or the Client, the connection is established, but as soon as a WEP is entered, the XP Client can't access it (a Windows 2000 Client works perfectly after entering the WEP).

I have spent hours trying everycombination, but I can't get this to work with a WEP!

Does anyone know if this is a problem with XP or Netgear, and is there a way around it?!

Thanks for any assistance.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by qballrail In reply to WEP Encryption works in 2 ...

Unfortunately, according to NetGear's website, the 401 card is not compatible with XP without their driver update.. I am assuming you actually meant MA104 as there are no ME104's listed, only the ME102 WAP.

located at:

http://www.netgear.com/support/support_dnld.asp?prodNum=MA401

Remember to remove any spaces when copy/past to browser.

Good Luck and hope this helps! :)

Regards,
Jesse

Collapse -

by wolverine In reply to WEP Encryption works in 2 ...

Thanks, but I visited the website, and it has the 'Designed for Windows XP' logo??????

Collapse -

Thanks, but I went to the page you mentioned, and it has the 'Designed for Windows XP' logo??????

Collapse -

According to the website, the drivers have been tested for WinXP, so they should work for you.

Collapse -

Try this link, I know the drivers are XP certified, the site states as such here http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.asp?prodID=91

WHen you go to the website, select Support for the device, then on the right side of the page, select MA401 Driver Version 2.6 (Windows XP Certified) under drivers.

Collapse -

Thanks greatly for the help!

As it turned out, a new Driver did solve this problem. Didn't realize the version we had was so out-of-date and that it didn't correspond to that version on the Website.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)