General discussion

Western Digital WD 1600 serious problem

By onthetrade ·
I have a serious problem with a western digital 1600 hard drive that is very new. It was working fine for a while but all the sudden just stopped working fully. When plugged into the power it does the startup sound then stops and continues to make that same sound over and over again as if its losing and then re gaining its power over and over. I know the power box is not the issue because I have tested it in several ways and all of my other hard drives work on it just fine. Its not a loose connection or a bad plug this I know for a fact. I find it strange because I had the same problem in the past with a WD 800 and have never been able to understand it or fix it for that matter. Any thoughts???
thanks so much

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by tech_wiz03 In reply to Western Digital WD 1600 s ...

Sounds like you have gotten a bad drive, I've sent 3 wd 1600's back for the same trouble and wd replaced them and the replacements worked fine. In all three cases, the drives worked for about 1 week then started getting progressively worse at not starting up right. Also noticed a slight sound as if the drives were doing extra work trying to read just before the problem started.

I do think you should have them replaced (hope they're still on warranty)

Collapse -

by wlbowers In reply to Western Digital WD 1600 s ...

The drive is doing a constant track seek. The track is damaged and/or corrupted.

Download the Data Lifeguard Tools and create a boot disk.

Boot to it and run the tools. It will give you an error code if necessary.

This can be used to warranty the drive.

Back to Hardware Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)