General discussion

What Are The Easist Ways to Build Applications For SQL Server 2005?

By cool_hand_2 ·
Hi,

Are there a easy application builders for a PC to access a SQL Server 2005 Database that will
give it the ability to do Inserts, Updates, and Deletes?

Are there any programs that can read in a SQL Server 2005 Schema and generate forms to do updates and reporting?

Are there any Open Source Apps or low cost shareware out there?

Regards,

T Smith

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

You can link access to it.

by Tony Hopkinson In reply to What Are The Easist Ways ...

You could use Visual studio to build the apps

You do have to know what you are doing though.

For a start short of something extremely trivial, you would need a good bit of SQL and database design knowledge to get a half decent reporting and data maintenance solution from one schema. Those two requirements conflict and badly. If you keep them both together they'll conflict more and more as it scales.

Collapse -

Access Will be Considered

by cool_hand_2 In reply to You can link access to it ...

Tony,

Thanks for responding back and I should have given you some basic info about my experience.

>>For a start short of something extremely trivial, you would need a good bit of SQL and database design knowledge to get a half decent reporting and data maintenance solution from one schema.>>

I have the Data Modeling thru DDL experience using SQL Server and Oracle and I have been more of a Data Warehouse application developer using stored procedures, etc, that the front-end people would use.

However this client I'm dealing with is looking to me for a front-end solution along with the database portion.

The front-end is the area where I need advice and a rapid solution.

I have been looking at Alpha 5 but it may be a bit much for the short time line I'm dealing with, and maybe Access would better serve that purpose since it can use SQL Server DBs as you have pointed out.

Regards

Collapse -

I suppose you've got to do what the client wants

by Tony Hopkinson In reply to Access Will be Considered

no matterhow distateful.

Do some cya work though, what ever tool you pick, it's not going to better than the people using it, and it sounds like you are dealing with power users.

Collapse -

Your right the

by cool_hand_2 In reply to I suppose you've got to d ...

CYA part is essentially what I'm doing before I make my recommendations, and I have been researching this 24/7 for a few days.

Since my client's, perspective clients all use SQL Server, then using it as a source DB for Access will cover all the bases.

This makes a lot of sense and provides scalability for web apps later.

Best Regards