Question

• Creator
    Topic

What are the most common problems with Microsoft 365 backup?

by jaypanlaan007 ·

I am considering recommending Microsoft 365 backup to my client, and I’ve done some research about it, but from a business owner perspective, WHat are the major benefits of Microsoft 365 as well as the weakness? Thanks in advance

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Re: Microsoft 365 backup

by kees_b ·

In reply to What are the most common problems with Microsoft 365 backup?

I can’t find any reference to such a service being offered by Microsoft. Only by other companies using the name “Microsoft 365 backup” for their product. In that case, it would depend on the company chosen.

Can you offer a link to microsoft.com that shows the product they offer? A link to other companies is likely to be considered as spam.

And can you tell why you don’t use it yourself? After all, I assume you use Onedrive or Azure (or under what label Microsoft sells its cloud storage) yourself.

Why this?

by rproffitt ·

With many gigabyte USB sticks selling for under 10 dollars, why would I need anything else?

Re: why

by kees_b ·

In reply to Why this?

If you have, as Microsofts promotes, you have all your data in the cloud (Onedrive for consumers, Onedrive Business or Azure for companies) you want a backup in the cloud, so you don’t need to download many GB to your PC for making a backup on a USB-stick.

Let me be blunt.

by rproffitt ·

In reply to Re: why

“No backup? No data!”

The cloud is not a sure backup. If your data isn’t worth 10 bucks then your data is not worth 10 bucks. By leaving it all on the clouds you have no assurance it will be there when you need it.

Reply To: What are the most common problems with Microsoft 365 backup?

by Johnharper2020 ·

Cloud Availability Roadblocks.
      Performance Degradation.
      Login Access and Timeout.
      Synchronization Errors.
      Network Jitter.
      Bandwidth, Throughput, and Connection Problems.
      Packet Loss.
      Failed Program and Migration Update.

Regards,
      John

Reply To: What are the most common problems with Microsoft 365 backup?

by markanderson264 ·

Accidental deletion: When accidentally a person deletes a file or directory. In SharePoint, Groups or Teams, users can easily delete information and conversations— or erase existing data versions. The deletion of information is not the end of the world if it is instantly found. From the Recycle Bin, you can recover the deleted data. Deleted files, however, are saved in the Recycle Bin temporarily.

Malicious deletion: In some cases, data removal is not accidental. Before leaving the company, some employees may deliberately delete their own files or files in shared folders. Or an attacker could use a stolen laptop with a poor password to gain access to Office 365 files and folders.

Retention Policy: In the modern age, the rapid pace of business lends itself to constantly changing strategies, including retention policies that are hard to keep up with. Office365 has restricted backup and recovery policies that can only fend off data loss in situations and is not intended to be a comprehensive backup solution.

Security Threats: Access to files with important data changes so quickly, keeping an eye on the ones you’ve most trusted can be difficult. There is no way for Microsoft to know the difference between a regular user and a fired employee trying to delete critical company data before they leave. Additionally, downloading infected files or accidental leakage of usernames and passwords to sites can create a serious threat.

External Threats: External threats can simply walk in through emails and attachments, any user can be trapped into these mails as they are so believable.

Compliance Requirement: Sometimes you have to recover emails, files or other types of data in an unusual way in the course of legal action. Microsoft has developed a few protection networks (Litigation Hold), but again, these are not a reliable backup system that can keep the business out of legal trouble.

Viewing 3 reply threads