General discussion

what goes into a server for windows 2000

By xmutant5 ·
i'm building a win 2000 server but the only problem is i don't no what goes into one so i need specs of sumthin that can use 10 win 2000 clients an proly a few 98se an maybe other stoof like that thanx

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by timwalsh In reply to what goes into a server f ...

The designation "server" is determined by the operating system, rather than by any components. Any reasonably equipped desktop computer can be used as a server for a small network.

Having said that, the components you use and the exact configuration will greatly depend on how you will use the server and your budget.

If the server will be used primarily as a domain controller and file server, your biggest concern will probably be storage space.

Motherboard: At this point, don't waste your money on a motherboard designed specifically for servers. For a small network, this usually isn't necessary. Also don't waste money on a dual-processor board unless you know you will be installing software that takes advantage of dual processors.

Case/Power supply: Find a case that is easy to work in and provides room for expansion. I would go with at least a 350W PS. I recommend Antec cases.

CPU: Authenticating users and serving files is not CPU intensive. Therefore you don't need to spend money on the newest, hottest CPU. Look at prices and see where the best bang-for-the-buck is somewhere in the middle. The choice of AMD or Intel is pretty much a matter of personal preference (and is usually the subject of much debate). I usually buy AMD because of the price difference.

RAM: MS recommends a minimum of 128MB of RAM to run Win2K Server. I would at least double that to 256MB. If you have money left over after getting the other important parts, increase this 512MB. The type of RAM is determined by the motherboard.

Video: Assuming your server will not also be used as a personal workstation also, you can get away with any low-end video card that is supported by Win2K. Monitor size is also not that important so get the best deal you can here.
(continued)

Collapse -

by timwalsh In reply to what goes into a server f ...

Video: Assuming your server will not also be used as a personal workstation also, you can get away with any low-end video card that is supported by Win2K. Monitor size is also not that important so get the best deal you can here.

NIC: I would not go with anything other than 100base-T. If the rest of your network is a mixture of 10 and 100base-T, get a dual speed card. I usually buy 3Com, but there are other good quality cards out there.

Sound: Don't waste your money unless the MB you have chosen has it built-in.

Hard Drive: Get the biggest you can afford. Unless fault-tolerance is a major concern, you don't need to spend money on SCSI drives and RAID controllers. For EIDE drives, I recommend Maxtor, IBM, or Seagate. Stayaway from Western Digital. I have had too many problems with them failing.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -

by chaosad In reply to what goes into a server f ...

Inexspensive:
Abit and Asus do make inexspensive motherbooards that come with built in raid controllers so it can make your work a little easier and fault tolerant without spending unecessary moneys.
its something to toss arround if you do go buya motherboard.

Collapse -

by xmutant5 In reply to what goes into a server f ...

Poster rated this answer

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)