General discussion

What's the purpose of 1394 Net Adapter?

By TechWantaBe ·
Probably a stupid question, just curious about what the 1394 Net Adapter does? Currently use a Wi-Fi ISP & was instructed to disable the 1394 Net Adapter during a troubleshooting call. Whenever a system check runs, I am prompted to enable the adapter. I am able to connect to internet and home network w/o problems while it is disabled. Thanks for any info.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to What's the purpose of 139 ...

The simple answer is

A 1394 Net Adaptor Connection is basically Win2k/XP's way of telling you that you have a Firewire interface installed in your system.

IEEE 1394 is more commonly known as Firewire and is mostly used to connect to peripherals such as digital cameras, camcorders and some external hard drives. It can also be used to network two Firewire-equipped systems together, achieving 12.5 to 50MBps transfer speeds. Firewire networking use is limited because of its 15ft cable length limitation.

Col

Collapse -

connects computers via firewire

by brettsalmon In reply to What's the purpose of 139 ...

Basically it connects two or more computers through their FireWire ports, making a network. According to PickyGuide:

"It is designed for high-speed file transfers with higher data rates than USB adapters. It can also function as a regular adapter, connecting the computer to one or more FireWire devices using only a single port."
:)

Collapse -

by youscom1 In reply to What's the purpose of 139 ...

On my Laptop I have 1394 Net Adapter but when i connect to internet am not able to access it and i have put all the IP Address on each part

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)