General discussion

When upgrading to 2000

By msfiroudis ·
Hi,
When I do a upgrade from win98 to win2000 prof., I believe it will ask me if I want to cnvert to ntfs. If I should choose this option to convert.I'm in any danger of losing any information I currentley have on my hard drive? And should I choose this option to upgrade to ntfs? Thanks in advance

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

15 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

When upgrading to 2000

by cportman In reply to When upgrading to 2000

Any time you convert from Fat16/32 to NTFS there is a slight chance of failure. MS always recommends backing up critical files before upgrading to win2k or converting to NTFS.

Its normally a pretty stable operation, and you shouldn't lose any info, but there is always that .01% that can go wrong.

Hey - MJ said he was 99.9999% sure he wouldn't come back!

good luck
cp

Collapse -

When upgrading to 2000

by msfiroudis In reply to When upgrading to 2000

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

When upgrading to 2000

by dmiles In reply to When upgrading to 2000

ntfs is a good security file system,if you plan on using any files from Win98,then it would be best to use the FAT32 file system to access files form the other system.
If concerned with security,then consider using ntfs file system,but you will notbe able to access files from WIN98

Collapse -

When upgrading to 2000

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

When upgrading to 2000

by nichorton In reply to When upgrading to 2000

Yes good old Jordan! 99.9%

Reformat vs. convert. Reformat you will lose all data. Convert you will not.
Conversion can be done at anytime. But, when you decide to do the converion
"convert [drive:] /fs:ntfs /v"
MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP ALL DATA BEFORE YOU RUN THE CONVERSION!

The process is fairly easy to complete and you probably will have no problems.

As far as whether you should convert the boot partition or not belongs to your tools available. Do you have disks that can access an NTFS partition in case of failure? Is security an option you are looking for? Are encryption and compression options you want? If you are comfortable with NTFS and answered yes to the above then do it. If not, FAT32 may give you a little more peace of mind during boot.

Collapse -

When upgrading to 2000

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

When upgrading to 2000

by LordInfidel In reply to When upgrading to 2000

Ok... the big debate....

To convert or not convert.

First, NTFS is the file system of choice if you are planning on running nothing but NT on that partition/disk.

Second. Yes there is a chance that the conversion will fail, albeit slim. Of course back up your files.

Which brings me to my big point. If you are contemplating upgrading to 2K and changing over to NTFS. Unless there are Mission Critical programs on that system that you can not recreate then I would strongly NOT reccomend upgrading.

Even though upgrading from a previous OS to 2K is relatively more stable then upgrades of the past. It has Failed me in the past in lab situations, using both NT4 and win98 installations.

Also, Upgrading is never the reccomended path. It should Only be used when you have no other choice but to upgrade. (IE. NT4 pdc upgrade to 2K DC to make an AD)

So what does this mean? Take a good hard look at your system. Back Up ***ALL*** files. If you pick and choose you will miss something. Make sure you have all of your programs on hand.

Update your Bios. Look at all device settings. Write down all devices that you have and make sure that you have drivers for them that are compatible with 2K.

Then.... Start from scratch. Get rid of your Old Fat32 partition, format it from scratch. Then install 2K on your freshly formatted NTFS drive.

Regardless of security and encryption, NTFS offers native fault taulerance in the fact of that it does not use a FAT (file allocation table).

Good Luck

Collapse -

When upgrading to 2000

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

When upgrading to 2000

by chessmaster315 In reply to When upgrading to 2000

You may want to consider a dual boot if you have the hard drive space. There are advantages of NTFS and FAT
NTFS is imperative if you need high level security, automatic disk compression, or encryption.

FAT is more compatable, it will work on Win 95/98 Win 2000 Win ME.

If you need all of the above advantages, you can have it by dual booting and have your Win2000 on NTFS and your Win 98 on FAT (or Fat32)

Collapse -

When upgrading to 2000

Poster rated this answer

Back to Windows Forum
15 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next