Question

Why can't my new 2008 server resolve DNS?

By krlseidl ·
I have migrated my domain from a w2003 server to a W2008 server. The old server is no longer serving any roles in the domain. The old server has a different IP address than the new server.
All workstations in the network show the IP of the new server in their DNS settings.

The problem is that if I down the old server or unplug it's network cable DNS stops working. I can still ping yahoo.com from the new server or a PC but I cannot display it's web page. I have looked everywhere in my Sonicwall 2040 Pro which is doing the routing and the new server and cannot find any reference to the old DNS server's IP address.

Where could the ghost of this old server be hiding that I cannot shut it down?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

DHCP tables?

by oldbaritone In reply to Why can't my new 2008 ser ...

Did you copy the DHCP tables from the old server to the new? Maybe it's hiding in the DNS entry in DHCP, pushing the old server out as the DNS server for DHCP at the workstations.

Check IPCONFIG /ALL from a workstation and see if it has the new server address. Or if you're using a router for DHCP, make sure that was updated.

Good Luck

Collapse -

Re: DNS

by christianshiflet In reply to Why can't my new 2008 ser ...

You say that with the old server shut down you can ping by FQDN (i.e. ping www.yahoo.com)? If so, try pinging (from a workstation) a site you have never gone to and verify that the address resolves properly. If it does, DNS does not appear to be the issue. Is there any chance that the old server acted as a proxy or was running anything like ISA on it?

Collapse -

re:Why can't my new 2008 server resolve DNS?

by TheBlueGoose In reply to Why can't my new 2008 ser ...

If you can resolve ip's from a domain name then DNS is working. Try using the nslookup command from the command prompt and see what DNS server it lists. If it matches your new DNS server name/ip address then the problem is most likely not DNS.

You can flush the local DNS cache from the desktops by running ipconfig /flushdns which would remove any old DNS entries as well but I do not think that is an issue.
If you are running a proxy then make sure that it is setup correctly on your server/workstations as well.

Collapse -

by krlseidl In reply to re:Why can't my new 2008 ...

No proxy. DNS server is listed correctly on all workstations.

I know this is a very vexing question. I have had a lot of very good techs look at this and no one can figure it out.

Could it be that when we moved the Active Directory from the old server to the new that something in the database didn't transfer properly?

Collapse -

by TheBlueGoose In reply to re:Why can't my new 2008 ...

Check your group policies if you have any setup that may be causing you issues. You can run RSOP from the command prompt on the workstations to see what policies are affecting them. But I do not think that AD is your issue.

Have you run TRACERT to a site that is resolving such as yahoo.com to see if you are making it there to begin with? See how far you get and that will tell you if you are actually getting to the outside. Also make sure there are no entries in your firewall ACL(s) that may be referencing the old server, but again this is not likely the issue either.

You can flush the DNS cache on the new server and then try to resolve a name to see if the server is getting outside for DNS requests as well in case the current entry is old but this is a shot in the dark.

Collapse -

forwarders sounds like the problem.

by CG IT In reply to Why can't my new 2008 ser ...

if local DNS lookups works but unresolved DNS lookups fail, then I'd vote for a forwarders problem.

Collapse -

this is more wierd

by krlseidl In reply to forwarders sounds like th ...

The old server is not a even a member of the domain anymore and has no forwarders in it. However, if I stop the DNS service on the old server none of my workstations or my new server can resolve DNS.

Collapse -

Re: DNS and Forwarders

by christianshiflet In reply to this is more wierd

Does the new server have any forwarders setup? If not, it will (should) just use the root hints (assuming they are present, no big deal). Is DNS setup to allow zone transfers and is the old server still listed there? From the DNS mmc check each Forward Lookup's SOA, Name Server, and Zone Transfer settings. You should do the same for each Reverse Lookup, too. Lastly, while you are there, check the DNS events from the Event Viewer. That may give some info.

Lastly, if you manually set the DNS settings for a PC to, say, your ISP's DNS servers can you then browse the Internet as normal?

Collapse -

yeah right don't buy it guy.....

by CG IT In reply to this is more wierd

If your old server isn't a member of the domain anymore and doesn't have forwarders, then sticking it back on the network isn't going to do anything for DNS lookups.

think of something else...

lets see what you say when I mention the global catalog server, sysvol and netlogon shares????

and oh lets say, FSMO roles??

and oh, how about your ISP DNS servers ? are they listed anywhere?

Collapse -

I almost wonder

by seanferd In reply to yeah right don't buy it ...

if the DNS server has even been set up on the new W2k8 server.

Assuming this has anything to do with DNS at all.

Back to Networks Forum
14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next