Question

Why does my Server 2008 R2 print spooler keep stopping?

By jtjaxxon ·
I have a print server running on a VM using Server 2008 R2. The clients ar all HP Dc7900s, with Office 2010. They are printing to an HP4014n, as well as a RICOH 6001. More than occasionally, the printers read offline. If I go into the services on the individual client and restart the spooler then the printers come online. Why does the spooler keep stopping and how can I prenvent it from happening so often?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Check to see if there are any Print Jobs in the Que

by OH Smeg In reply to Why does my Server 2008 R ...

After the system closes the Print Spooler.

if there are check for out of Range settings in the documents sent to the printer.

If there are no documents check the connection of the printer/s if they drop out that could cause the Print Spooler to close.

Col

Collapse -

Since a manual restart works, try forcing the service to restart.

by dave In reply to Why does my Server 2008 R ...

Bandaid fix. In the spooler service properties on the client, go to the recovery tab and set the subsequent failures to "restart the service". I did this for a shared BizHub fax\copier\printer a while back after I got tired of the same 'no print" service call. Problem I suspect was a bad driver, but never resolved the problem. You could see in the event log the service quit, but a minute later would restart because of this setting. Try on one client first.

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)