General discussion

Why is Outlook 2000 so slow on Network?

By TomSal ·
I was running Win 98 SE with Outlook 97 on my work computer it worked fine. We run IPX as primary protocol (not my choice but they sign my check) and we use TCP/IP for Internet. Since I switched to a brand new NT Workstation 4.0 with Service Pack 6 and Outlook 2000 my computer is god awful slow delivering inter office email, it sends internet email fine but I sent a message yesterday at 3:50 and they got it at 5 PM! Every other computer (win 9x) sends email almost instantly.

Any suggestions - btw, I double checked the configuration and all is the same as we always set it up.

-Tom

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by rsears In reply to Why is Outlook 2000 so sl ...

What are you using for an email server, Exchange? GroupWise? Others? This behavior sounds like it could be your mail server. Are other people in you office experiencing the same thing? If not then, I guess the first thing that I would try is removing the old profile you use in Outlook then create a new one, this is very simple to do. Perhaps the profile you are currently using on that machine is looking for a mail server that is non-existent (you can setup outlook to check mailboxes on many different servers) that can cause outlook to hang for a long time. Hopefully all you’ll need to do is tell outlook where to look for your email.

Collapse -

by TomSal In reply to Why is Outlook 2000 so sl ...

Sorry for not including if we have Exchanger Server or not, my bad...we aren't using it. But I found the problem myself.

Collapse -

by rellerd In reply to Why is Outlook 2000 so sl ...

Since I'm not sure which configuration you checked, check your Bindings order. Make sure that IPX is first and TCP/IP second.

Collapse -

Bindings would have little to no effect in such a small network. Thanks for the input, I appreciate your attention.

Collapse -

by GeikKo In reply to Why is Outlook 2000 so sl ...

You might be using services that are not needed. Check the services applet to see if you can set of them to manual and also see if performance monitor will help you distinguish if it's your pc or the network.

One of the disadvantages of Outlook 2K is that it consumes more memory than 97

Collapse -

Memory useage and bloatware aside (you're right it does) but it has NOTHING to do at all with network delivery. Mind you I'm just letting you know, I thank you for your help in the matter. I solved it myself - the solution was a simple check box in Outlook 2000 labeled "Use External Delivery Agent". It dramatically increased mail delivery speed.

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)