General discussion

Why it's not running 100mbps

By sphynx ·
Hello,
This is a weird stuff i should tell. I have a computer which is multiboot win98 and win2000 both the same hardware and connections. I just notice that once i issue a ping our router in win98 i get result of 1ms througput time. But when i use win2000 and issue ping command i get only 10ms throughput time.

Can anybody tell me how to make my win2k run to 1ms.

Reminder both are connected to a 3com switch.

Thanks.

Gerald.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by acattr In reply to Why it's not running 100m ...

the "time<10ms" or "time<1ms" has nothing to do with troughput. All it is, is the amount of time it takes for the packet to be replied to from the router. It takes 0.01 secons on 2000 and 0.001 seconds on 98. You shouldn't need to worry about this, you should worry about it if the times are alot greater, over 1000ms(1second) Bytes is the actual amount of data you are sending out "bytes=32" or "bytes=1344". You can specify the bytes with the -l option.

Collapse -

by sphynx In reply to Why it's not running 100m ...

I have my other win2000 professional users which get 1ms and only mine is getting 10ms. i know it's not a problem but i just want to know why.

Collapse -

by acattr In reply to Why it's not running 100m ...

The time it takes for an ICMP packet to be accepted by a host depend on the tcp/ip stack, network interface performance, latency between hops, and # of hops.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)