Question

Why mapped network drives on Windows 2003 Server keep disconnecting?

By Jay_n_VB ·
I have four Windows 2003 servers (Standard Edition R2 SP2 and Enterprise Edition R2 SP2) that I'm trying to perform backups to a mapped network drive. I've mapped the drives (Y: \\10.1.1.100\Backups) and find that after about 30 minutes they show disconnected. This of course causes the backups to fail. I can click on the network drive and it will open. I've tried Microsoft solution (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684) but the drives still show disconnected after about 30 minutes. I've even tried just increasing the time to 65535 and no change in the disconnect time. The solution worked on our Windows 2008 server but none of the 2003 servers. Has anyone else experienced this problem and found a resolution?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

i have seen this

by markp24 In reply to Why mapped network drives ...

I tried net config server /autodisconnect:-1 on startup but
My fix was to leave an exporer windows open to the mapped drive (ie T:\)
put a startup item in "explorer.exe t:\"
this leaves an active connection to the network drive, If its closed then the timeout rule kicks in again. and will show a Red X on the drive under "my computer"
so i leave it minimixed on the bottom of the screen.

Also im curious, does the application accept unc path , instead of a drive mapping? (ie use \\servername\share\path vs drive letter:\path, you may want to try that,

Collapse -

Net Use

by vinitogupta In reply to Why mapped network drives ...

from command prompt -- net use command with persistent -- syntax should be something like net use S: \\abc\xyz /persistent:Yes this should fix it

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)