Question

Why won't Office 2003 load on my laptop now I've loaded Windows 7

By davidghensley ·
I did a clean install of Windows 7 and then put in the OEM Office 2003 disc that came with my computer, but it doesn't read it - just goes round then gets ejected. Any ideas?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

From past experience,

by Jacky Howe In reply to Why won't Office 2003 loa ...

when this behaviour happens, it's time to replace the Optical drive. You could try removing the drive and reconnecting it.

Give your CD a clean. I normally use a CD Cleaning Kit but it can be achieved using a soft lint free cloth. By inserting one finger in the spindal hole and another on the edge, gently move the cloth radially outwards from the middle.

If you are networked, you can share the Optical drive in another System and try installing that way.

Edit: add information on cleaning

Collapse -

WIndows 7 drive problem, but not a physical one

by davidghensley In reply to From past experience,

Thanks.

I didn't think that it is a hardware problem, as the drive worked fine to install Windows 7 from disc, and now recognises the Windows 7 disc - but doesn't read other discs, most importantly Office 2003.

Troubleshooting the drive in Windows 7 tells me it has the latest driver, and is working OK.

I think I need some sort of software fix, perhaps related to the original drivers and software (deleted in the clean install) but I don't know which one is missing or what I need to download.....

Collapse -

Try updating the firmware

by Jacky Howe In reply to WIndows 7 drive problem, ...

for the drive.

Collapse -

From what I've seen

by Jacky Howe In reply to Try updating the firmware

of Office Trial installations, in Notebooks, they are built into the Recovery software. Office trial is installed along with the Operating system.

Collapse -

An OEM Office 2003 will be expecting the previous OS ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to Why won't Office 2003 loa ...

Which, since you've already posted regarding upgrading to Windows 7, in your case was what Operating System??

It's not unknown for OEM discs to flat out refuse to run on ANY system other than the one they were originally intended for. By installing Windows 7, this OEM disc no longer 'sees' what it expects to find.

Collapse -

problem solved - thanks for your comments

by davidghensley In reply to An OEM Office 2003 will b ...

Thanks to everyone for the comments.
I have now solved it by uninstalling the drivers for the CD-ROM drive, even though the troubleshooter said that they were the latest versions and working fine, and then reinstalling them. After this the CD drive was able to read the Office 2003 disc no problem - and for general interest the Office 2003 programmes work well, if anything faster under Windows 7 than they did in XP.

Collapse -

Just for the sake of trying

by LarryD4 In reply to Why won't Office 2003 loa ...

Copy the disk contents to a folder on the PC and find the setup.exe, don't use the MSI that may be on the disk to do the install.

Back to Software Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)