General discussion

Wierd Formatting Problem - Word 2000

By pireland ·
Hi,

I am having difficulties with the formatting in an old file that I was given for editing, and I wonder if anyone can set me straight on the remedy.

Whenever I go to change format on anything, such as applying bold text, everything changes to bold. When I apply bullets, all my bold text reverts to regular text. It seems as if I am defining some global style whenever I change anything. How can I break out of this mode that I am apparently in?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Lo In reply to Wierd Formatting Problem ...

Hi - My past experience with Word and such situations (none of them pleasurable), was that the file was corrupt. It wasn't doing same but some really odd things with bookmarsk, index entries, references, etc.

I ended up copying/pasting between documents until I got the part that was bad and re-entered what wouldn't copy/paste. Lots of save/exit/reopen check between to see if I had copied the bad part.

Try converting the document to Word 2000 (SaveAS with Word 2000 format). If that work, try saving with 95, 97, or whatever), not sure if that will work from Word 2000, but might.

If you have previous versions of Word, might try converting from it's original creation to higher version (check docs to see what can convert what). Repeat until you get to Word 2000. lo

Collapse -

by pireland In reply to Wierd Formatting Problem ...

Doing a saveas Word6 format did the trick and allowed me to make the necessary changes without further difficulties... Thanks!

Collapse -

by pireland In reply to Wierd Formatting Problem ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)