wifi connection to Xfinity prepaid
I need professional help.
I recently switched to an Xfinity (Comcast) prepaid internet service, with which I get a WiFi modem and plug it into a coaxial jack. A Comcast tech came by yesterday and verified it is a good connection. Due to covid though, they would only service the jack, not look at my laptop.
My phone and my stalwart 2008 Toshiba Satellite connect to wifi fine. But my 2018 Dell workstation — a trusted friend through wifi networks near and far – struggles for a wifi connection on the new network. (Through May I had no problem on the earlier Verizon modem, which was through the phone line.) Web pages will load partially, or not at all. The troubleshooter mentions DNS errors, and eSet cannot even download an update.
The errors I most commonly get are:
– DNS server not responding
– PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR (especially trying to load gmail)
– The connection has timed out.
– Pages trying to load with a status message “performing TLS handshake.”
I have tried the following, to no avail:
– disabling the SSL setting on eSet, and even pausing eSet
– disabling then enabling the wireless adaptor
– resetting all adaptors (through settings, not manually through CMD)
– flushing the DNS through CMD with /flushdns
– specifying the IPv4 address, subnet mask, DNS servers, and DNS suffix by copying the working settings on my Satellite.
– Re-setting the Xfinity modem many times
– Toggling proxy connection in Firefox.
I’m currently on Windows 10 v 1903. Most recent quality update was KB4497165 on 28 May.
If you can help please let me know. I can send you screenshots via email or Google chat.
Mystified, and thank you,