General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Win 2000 and 95 Clients

by thetravman ·

I have a small network with a Win 2000 Server and mostly Win 2000 Workstations, but there are a couple of Win 95 Clients also. The problem is the Win 95 clients can see and access everyone including themselves but none of the 2000 machines includingthe server can access the Win 95 Clients.
    All you get is this message –
    //computername is not accessible
    The account is not authorized to log in from this station. –

I can ping the 95 machines from any station by name or IP address.
    Please help. I know this must be something simple but I can’t find it.
    Thanks. TheTravman………………

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

W2KSVR and Win95 Clients

by austinadkins ·

In reply to Win 2000 and 95 Clients

Along the same lines, I am setting up a server, I have installed DNS and WINS, and my clients wont log in, but they show up on the server’s Neighborhood Network. Still racking my brain.

W2KSVR and Win95 Clients

by mvermaat ·

In reply to W2KSVR and Win95 Clients

Try using the “File and Print Sharing voor Microsoft Networks” service on the clients.
        If that’s not working either go to the client’s pc and make sure that the name of the workgroup is the same as the domain name.
        Succes !
        Let me know if it works.

No Go

by thetravman ·

Thanks for the reply but I’ve got File and Printer sharing enabled and the name of the workgroup is the same as the name of the domain.
          That’s why I’m pulling my hair out on this one.

Reply To: Win 2000 and 95 Clients

by rob ·

In reply to No Go

Have you definitely added the PC to AD?

Yes.

by thetravman ·

In reply to Reply To: Win 2000 and 95 Clients

Yes. It’s name is in the Active Directory.
          It realizes it’s part of the domain because it logs me on with my domain name and password but it seems the Server isn’t allowing the other computers into it.
          Thanks.

Share level access

by andrew ·

In reply to Yes.

are the Win95 clients using Share Level or User Level access?

I’ve tried both.

by thetravman ·

In reply to Share level access

I’ve tried both in the what seems like millions of tests I’ve run, but it never even makes it to the point of letting me see the shares in the network neighborhood. It won’t let me have access to the computer itself. I’m going crazy……

DS Client?

by kelly.ecklund ·

In reply to Share level access

Have you installed DS client. Directory Service Client software for Windows 9x.
          You’ll find this add-on in any of the Windows 2000 server installation CD-ROMs in the \Clients\Win9x folder. Double-click on the DSCLIENT.EXE file to start the setup program. It’s a fairly quick and simple setup program, guided by a wizard. Once you have the Directory Service Client installed, your domain logon is validated through Kerberos authentication. You can also search the AD for published printers.

HMMMMMM

by gonzg ·

In reply to Yes.

I believe the problem might be with the user accounts you are logging on to the W95 STATIONS. For example, user A1 within the usermanager probably has rights to log on to probably that computer and no other. You probably need to either unrestrictthat user within user manager or key in the computer name of the Window 2000 machines

Try This

by ong_matthew ·

Make sure your machines are no on a different IP subnet .

Is Client attached to Domain

by Anonymous ·

In reply to No Go

In Win2000 Server CD is folder Client. instal this programm On win 95 computer and join Client to Domain

Pleas mail me if you still have a problem.
          Martins

Done that.

by thetravman ·

In reply to Is Client attached to Domain

The 95 Client has never had a problem joining the domain. In the network Neighborhood it is listed under the domain and when you log onto it you have to use your domain username and password, but no one can access it. It seems to be a name resolution problem but I can ping it by name or IP address.
          Thanks anyway.

try static ip

by spacesam ·

In reply to No Go

Enable DNS on your server if it’s not enabled, then try specifying the IP address, DNS and subnet IP.
          Make sure all clients are in the same subnet.

check DNS config

by spacesam ·

In reply to try static ip

one thing more.., is short, but it can work. Make sure you have the correct host name (try using the computer name), and the domain name.

Remote it

by blkjoe_1999 ·

In reply to No Go

It may be that a remote control software will help you to access the machine and you will not have to worry about some out of the ordinary setting. I use PC-Duo at my helpdesk.

lmhosts

by tedk ·

In reply to Remote it

Try adding the 95/client to the lmhosts file.

need more info

by danayen ·

In reply to No Go

first w2k has change TCP/IP stack and is causing problem with network connections even in win98 I need to know your verison of 95 and TCP/IP version as well as winsock.dll
          Dan A. Ayen The KIndness Company L.L.C.
          danayen@voyager.net I will do my best to help
          Dan A. Ayen

Win2ksvr 9x clients

by rschmid1 ·

Ensure that the 2k svr has net bios protocol and clients as well… try that and see if it works.. sometimes the tcpip protocol does not allow the clients to login on for the first time using ip.. Netbios should do the trick…
          If it works email me@ rschmid@alside.com

Not Netbios, NetBEUI

by unmelt ·

In reply to Win2ksvr 9x clients

I’m not sure if the last poster’s solution actually helps, as I don’t have the problem configuration running on my network. But it makes sense. While TCP/IP is the optimal protocol for communication cross-platform over the network, NetBEUI does a much better job with MS to MS connections within the same subnet on a network.

Just wanted to point out that it was NetBEUI he meant to say.

thanks My bust

by rschmid1 ·

In reply to Not Netbios, NetBEUI

Sorry I did mean Netbeui!!

Dyslexic fingers I guess!!!

Thanks for the clarification

w2k and win95 clients

by themacd ·

If you are unable to see Win95 clients I have found that if you enable your Routing and Remote Access service that seems to solve the problem

the software is not compatiable

by shirley28 ·

It seems to me that Win95 is upward compatiable and that is why it can recognize the W2KSVR. I also believe that the software W2KSVR is not downward compatiable and it will not recognize previous versions. I hope this helps somewhat!!

by claymuir ·

I am sorry I can’t give you the correct answer right now but I know what is wrong. The new Active directory has to be installed so that it has a “tree” for the old systems. I have a sybex book that explains the problem and how to resovle it. My suggestion is this – either get that book or try MS technet. The problem is documented in both.

W2KSVR

by cmastrocola ·

When you setup your server did you turn off the active dictory?

Win9x Client for Win 2k

by chrismccoy ·

I apologize for not reading the entire thread, but on the Windows 2000 Server CD you will find the Win 9x Client for Windows 2000. You need to install this on every windows 9x machine that will participate in your windows 2000 network. Hope this helps.
        Chris McCoy
        MCSE, A+

Using WINS Scope?

by sdavis ·

Are you using a WINS Scope on the Server?

I’m not sure.

by thetravman ·

In reply to Using WINS Scope?

I installed Wins and tried it but it never seemed to see anything. How do you setup a scope?
          By the way one of the posts to my question finally got me access to the computer. I had to do a search for a computer and use the IP address as the keyword.
          This leads me to believe it’s a name resolution problem whereas before I was thinking it was a security or permissions issue.
          Any thoughts?

by jagcon ·

What version of 95 are you running ? If not release b it might be centered around incompatable fat systems? Just a thought

Jag
        jagcon@earthlink.net

by kim2786 ·

Did your Share resources on the 95 for the network to see ?

Thanks

by thetravman ·

Thanks but that hasn’t worked either.
        I’ve tried sharing both ways and neither works. I don’t think it’s a sharing problem,
        but then again I don’t know what the problem is.
        Let me know if you think of something else.

I had the same Problem

by reddn ·

In reply to Thanks

I have had the same problem. I am sorry to say but i have only read the first 21 threads of this board and some people dont know what they are talking about(and dont know how to read past threads). With that out of the way what I am going to say isn’t going to help you. But I have a home network with about 3 clients, 1 server running Windows 2k Adv Server. My first installation of it, it would not let me access my Windows ME client. But as yall have said the ME client can access everythingelse. My windows server was giving the exact same error message, and I gave the logon name to that computer(the ME client) Full administrator access, nothing. I just got tired and used Netmeeting to get files from it. After finished my MCSE testsI thought it would be good to reinstall windows, to re-recongize my self with all of the options. After installation I got all of my clients back up and running the Win ME client could be access from the server. I really don’t know what I did. But I tired everything. But like i said in the beginning, this won’t help you because your company probably can’t afford there server being down for reinstallation of the OS.

Tommy Sweeney
          MSCE, A+
          reddn@crosswinds.net

I really don’t want to do that.

by thetravman ·

In reply to I had the same Problem

I can’t really take the server down just like you said but I received an interesting post. He suggested doing a search for computers but to use the IP address of the win95 client. Lo and Behold it let me right in.
          I mapped the shares to My Computer on the stations we will more than likely need to access it from. I know this don’t solve the original problem of what’s actually goin’ on but it got me access to the computer until I can figure it out.
          Any ideas?

remember 95 network security

by danayen ·

In reply to I had the same Problem

Did not work computer would see any workgroup no mater what the name so that and some virsion of 98 first edition were the same 98SE amd w2k won’t that why I ask for version I have A 95 MACHINE LEFT OVER SO i WILL HOOK IT UP TO MY NETWORK AND PUT INW2K ON ANOTHER MACHINE AND SEE IF i GET THE SAME THING WISH ME LUCK
          Dan A. Ayen

W2k & W95

by gicu artistu’ ·

You said that you could ping it. Did you tried to use net use L: \\\share. If this doesn’t work maybe you have Win95 OSR2 with the “wierd” FAT32. Go back to normal FAT and it should work. If it still doesn’t work you have something with the browser master on your network (try to disable it from Win95 in the File and print sharing properties).

If it does work then you should check your Wins server.

Luck.

Directory Service Client

by airmen80 ·

Have you tried running the Directory Service Client on the WIN95 workstations?

I’m not sure.

by thetravman ·

In reply to Directory Service Client

How do you do that?
        I installed the DSClient from the Windows 2000 Server CD-Rom. It installed fine but I could never find anything about how to run it.
        I didn’t know if just installing it was all you had to do or if there was more. There’s very little documentation on it.

DSC

by airmen80 ·

In reply to I’m not sure.

Sure
          Before installing DSC on a computer running win95 you must install IE 4.01 or later and enable the active desktop.

Then in the clients\win9x folder on 200 server or advanced server, run dsclient.exe command. from the workstation.

setup runs and copies everything over. Finish and restart.

Also

by airmen80 ·

In reply to DSC

I just thought of a couple other things to try. Is netbios installed? or installing a WINS server might help. When the 95 clients log on they will enter themselves into the WINS server and their names can be resolved. As you prob know w2k is alldns based and now that i think about it from your description starting the wins service might be the best bet.

More about WINS Please

by thetravman ·

In reply to Also

I’ve installed WINS on the 2000 server but it doesn’t see anything. I also can list the clients in MMC – DNS but when I use NSLOOKUP to see if the DNS Server is working it says it doesn’t see a default DNS Server.
          This was installed by the Setup when the Server was setup so what could be wrong with it. This could be the problem in the first place. Could be why WINS sees nothing too.
          What’s goin’ on?

wins and netbeui

by airmen80 ·

In reply to More about WINS Please

I would try WINS first.
          Go to the TCP/IP config on the workstations. Enable WINS resolution and punch in the WINS server IP.

if no go
          try loading the NetBEUI protocol on W2KServer. Make sure NetBios is enabled.

Trav

by austinadkins ·

In reply to Also

Had the same problem. I was running WINS and DNS for my 95 clients so, I uninstalled WINS, and disabled it on my clients. Setup DNS for the clients and ran that service on the SVR and it worked, dont know if that’ll helped and now that I did I have less of an understanding of it but it works.

I’ll try it.

by thetravman ·

In reply to Trav

I’m not at work right now but when I go in I’ll try it and let you know.
          Thanks.

access the Win 95 Clients

by tomkelly99 ·

can you tell me what the access control setting is at [controlpannel-network-access control] should be set to userlevel with the name of your server that is doing the control for your network, dont you have to also add the name of the 95 pc’s to the nt-server

try one of this:

by bogdan ·

– login using username/password of a CERTAIN member of domain
      – create computer accounts for W95 machines on the domain’s PDC
      – another good practice may be reinstalling the TCP/IP protocol on W95 machines and re-check NIC’s settings

nt domain

by mcauchon ·

if your user exist on the server and you c’ant login try double click on client for microsoft network and check logon to windowsnt domain and enter the workgroup name reply if its working please!!

They are the same

by thetravman ·

In reply to nt domain

My workgroup name is the same as the domain
        name. The 95 client finds the domain just fine and it can see and access everyone. It’s the 2000 clients that can’t access the win 95 client.
        Thanks for the input though.
        Any more ideas?

This May Seem Obvious, but….

by talden ·

In reply to They are the same

I know this may seem obvious, but have you checked your settings in Client for Microsoft Networks to make sure that SAP (Service Advertising Protocol) is Enabled on your 95 clients? If not, they will be able to see all of the other machines, but only the 95 machines might be able to see the other 95 machines. Sound familiar?

Thanks I’ll try it.

by thetravman ·

In reply to This May Seem Obvious, but….

No it’s not obvious since I don’t even remember seeing it before, so I’ll look for it.
          Thanks.

2000 and 95 clients

by kim2786 ·

how about checking 95 clients protocol , make sure that they are the same as 2000 clients. Use TCP/IP do not mix with any other protocal.

Been there, Done That

by thetravman ·

In reply to 2000 and 95 clients

Already using TCP/IP and Netbios with print and file sharing turned on and binding to Client for Microsoft Networks.
        I’m using it configured this way on the 95 client and TCP/IP and Netbios on the server and 2000 machines.
        Thanks anyway though.
        Any more ideas?

Win2k & Win95 connectivity

by mwca ·

In reply to Been there, Done That

having Win2K and Win95 communicate is mainly based on username and password.

I have a small office setup with a couple Win2k machines and a couple Win95 machines. To get them communicating all PCs had to be on the same subnet and in the same workgroup.

Finally, since your network settings sound correct, setup a user account on a Win2K machine and on a Win95 machine with the same username and password.

It wasn’t until I had set this up that I access shared files.

If this works, you may have to setup accounts for all your Win95 users on each Win2K machine.

Good Luck!
          Mark.

Opposite Problem…

by brogers ·

In reply to Win2k & Win95 connectivity

I just installed a network at home to get myself familiar with the Win2000 Server (we aren’t running it at work and I’d like to have some experience with it before we install it in a true “work evironment”).

My problem is that my Win98 machine cannot log onto the network. Workgroup = Domain name. All network configurations appear correct (Server is 10.0.1.1 and Win98 PC is 10.0.1.2, Server domain is “Israel”, PC workgroup is “Israel”, link lights on the network are nice and green, I can ping the IP addresses and get responses–but anytime I click on “network neighborhood” on the Win98 PC, I get an error–anytime I force a login (it won’t login when it boots, I have to tell it to log-off the user) using the Administrator sign on and password, I am told there are “no domain controllers”.

I have experience setting up users on Win NT (in fact, I’m a Network Administrator at the office), so this is really irking me that things are significantly different with W2K.

Any suggestions?

Benjamin

make sure the DHCP service is running

by marshall ·

In reply to Opposite Problem…

make sure that you have the server options and scope configured. go to administrative tools and click on configure this server then networking and then DHCP, I have forgotten to configure the options and took a while to figure it out.

DHCP running–but bypassed

by brogers ·

In reply to make sure the DHCP service is running

I have DHCP running–but I bypassed it with the Win98 PC and manually configured the IP address as 10.0.1.2.

I have the Scope of DHCP set to 10.0.1.0 — 10 – 250 and using a subnet of 255.0.0.0.

I have named the Scope “Judah”.

Benjamin

Use of Scope

by tatsnice ·

In reply to DHCP running–but bypassed

When you have dhcp running on your server combined with a scope.

On the win98 machine have it log into the same domain as the server.
          Do not assign an address .. Set to get automatically from dhcp server.

Your scope will assign an address that is not being used according to the scope setting you have on the server.

If you want your 98 machines files or printers to be visible make sure file and printer sharing is enabled.

To make the computer totally visible to the network , sharea folder assign a password with the appropriate rights. Whether it be read or write access.

On the server create a username with the same password as the shared folder on the 98 machine.

use that username to see if it is working.

Having Same Problem

by rareamer ·

In reply to Opposite Problem…

I just upgraded our server to W2k and some of my 98 clients are running fine with the exception of one 98 and one 95 client. I can’t find diddley on this subject at Microsoft’s knoewledge base. What’s strange also is that the 98 that won’t log on can actually accesss our financial program that resides on the server. I’ve also noticed that pinging from ther server to workstations comes back with request timed out, but when I ping from my workstation I get every station that’s connected. Kudos tothe first person who figures this all out!

Could it be a driver issue?

by brogers ·

In reply to Having Same Problem

The Win 98 PC in question is a 1 GHz Athlon with a built in RealTek ethernet card on the motherboard. I tried to determine if it was a NIC/driver problem–but the only other NIC I had with me was another RealTek.

Another interesting side issue: When the Win 98 PC first powers up, you can watch the link lights on the hub as it communicates with the server–they are both flashing on and off in rapid succession. Then, just before you’d expect to see a log-on window, the Win 98 PC resets.

This is frustrating me to no end…

Benjamin

Update: I got one to work!

by brogers ·

In reply to Could it be a driver issue?

Okay. Here’s what I did:

I downgraded the server using the “dcpromo” command and then reinstalled Active Directory. (I wanted a fresh start.) Once it was finished, I added the Windows 98 machine (“Melchizidek”). Within that same “Computers” folder, I added the user “Benjamin”. After the user was added, I went in and edited the profile for “Benjamin” indicating the base logon was “\\Melchizidek\Benjamin”.

Then I reset the Windows 98 computer, and logged Benjamin into the network–and it worked like a charm!

However, my other machine still refuses to connect to the server/network at all. I removed its NIC from Network Properties and reinstalled/reconfigured and it still didn’t connect (although the symptom of double booting is gone, now–though I have to wonder if it was trying to network boot…).

I suspect there is a problem with the driver, installation or even physically ailing with the NIC. However, it’s built into the motherboard and will be a pain to deal with if that’s the case.

But, I thought you should all know how I was able to get the Win98 machine to see the network/logon to the Windows 2000 Server.

Thank you for all your help! Now that one of them is working, it’s just a matter of time/trial-and-error/sweat to get the 2nd machine up and running…

…and then it’s time for running network Half-Life!

Benjamin

DNS Settings on 95 clients

by nicks ·

I may be off track here, but it’s worth a shot. Check your DNS settings on the clients to make sure they have the correct host name and domain. (or in DHCP on the server if applicable). I’m thinking that if 2000 is moving away from WINS towards dns,the 95 clients will need to register correctly with the dns server.

Wins Proxy ?

by jacki ·

In reply to DNS Settings on 95 clients

If your 95 clients are not on the same subnet as your WINS Server- you may want to install a WINS Proxy on the segment where the WIn 95 clients are located.

Same Subnet

by thetravman ·

In reply to Wins Proxy ?

They’re on the same subnet and it’s all ran by DHCP and Active Directory. All the IP addresses are obtained automatically from the server. I can ping the names and addresses from anywhere and get a good response.
          I’ve also enabled WINS and DNS is showing running correctly with NSLookup.
          I’m stumped.

Domain Policy

by supreme21 ·

In reply to Same Subnet

I don’t know i fthis wil help or not but try this:

Disable the “Digitally sign server-side communication when possible” setting in the Securdc4.inf file. (You have to go into domain Policy then go into security policy an disable Digitally sign server-side communication and client.)

Save the Securdc4.inf file as another .inf file (for example, as Securup4.inf).

Load the new settings into the registry by using the following command:
          “c:\winnt\system32\secedit.exe /configure /cfg c:\winnt\security\templates\securup4.inf /db c:\winnt\security\database\secedit.sdb /log c:\temp\secedit.log”
          NOTE: This is a single command. It has been wrapped for readability purposes.

If thsi doesn’t work do you have netbios over tcp/ip on theserver enabled?

not to be dumb

by marshall ·

In reply to Same Subnet

On the 95 machine check to make sure that the c (or d whichever you want shared) is shared.

I’ve had them shared both ways.

by thetravman ·

In reply to not to be dumb

I’ve had them shared both ways but it doesn’t even make it that far. It says I can’t log in to it from the station I’m at.
          Once again let me say that no suggestion or question is dumb. The only way to solve this is to get every possible angle on itand then kick it in the butt.
          Thanks for trying.

policy maybe?

by jeckhout ·

In reply to I’ve had them shared both ways.

If it says can not log on from the station your at maybe there is a setting in a security policy somewhere dissallowing this type of connction.

Since all the workstations can login to the domain and all the hosts can see each other. It seems your DHCP and DNS are all configured properly.

I’d guess you need to focus on different policies (in the active directoy and on the 95 workstation) until you find the problem. I have not run into this problem so I can not be more specific. I’m just taking a guess based on the error message you are getting when you try and log in.

I’d also double check the 95 Active directory client.

Just my 2 cents… hope it helps.

HOST & Domain

by stuckinthemiddleagain ·

In reply to DNS Settings on 95 clients

I have found that clients that get stuck in the file-sharing game, always lack one or two settings in the tcp/ip stack bound to the network adapter. Make sure you have a host and domain entry even if they are nonsense. As long as you have that, and the ip address entered for your server that has a running Wins database, it should work.
        I also remembering having to run some dippy win95 patch for tcp/ip at one time or another.
        You will also want to try the following fom the client to the server:
        At the dosprompt type:
        route add X.X.X.X (client’s ip) X.X.X.X (server)

-Then ping the server. Sometimes the routing table can get screwed up.

I think the host and domain entries are the key.

Good luck,
        Earl

Thanks I’ll try it.

by thetravman ·

In reply to HOST & Domain

Thanks for the suggestions.
          Do you remember the name of the patch or where to get it?

is wins service installed …

by kalpesh_it ·

First of all i should know that is wins service is installed on ur server & if not u should do it or else update the lmhosts file on win2000 clients machine.

Wins is installed

by thetravman ·

In reply to is wins service installed …

It’s installed. I’m not sure if it’s working correctly. Is there a command to check this out from the server.
        I don’t see anything in the MMC-Wins Console.
        THanks.

Win 2000 and 95 Clients

by cannonk ·

Have you tried to install NetBEUI on your Winn 2000 PC’s?

by dxavier ·

Have you tried activating NetBIOS over TCP/IP on your Win2k machines?

Netbios and Netbeui are enabled

by thetravman ·

Both Netbios over tcp/ip and netbui have been enabled from the start except when I disabled them to try without them. I’ve also enabled WINS and then disabled it again when it done no good.
          I’m going crazy!!!!!!!!!!

Win 2000 and 95 Clients

by dhxinc ·

I had a problem like this with Win 98 and
      Win 95 client (long time ago).
      Start, Settings, Control panel, Network, Identification tab, not sure which one,
      “Computer name”, or “Workgroup” on Win 95 client contained “Special Characters” (-_.,)
      I changed it to A-Z 0-9 only, that fixed the problem.

Hovsep Movsessian
      dhxinc@earthlink.net

no special characters

by thetravman ·

My domain name is a simple Three letter word and the computer name is a four letter word. I haven’t used any special characters in any of the computer names.
        Thanks anyway.

W2K 9X browser problem

by earthquake ·

In reply to no special characters

When you setup the W2K server, did you set Active Directory to Mixed mode, or native? Documentation states that an NT 4.0 server cannot participate in Native Active Directory, only mixed mode. So my assumption would be that neither would win9x OS’s.The entire issue seems to me to involve the master browser/browser – not compatible – thus no older style browser would not work! By the way, if you set native mode, you cannot reverse it. Let me know how it goes, that is if you have time?

It works for me

by 007jam ·

I routinely access 9x clients from w2k svr and pro. You don’t hane a name resolution problem if you can ping host/netbios name and ip address successfully. Try ensuring that netbeui and file and printer sharing for microsoft networks are installed at every 9x client and that all w2k clients are also configured for netbeui. Bear in mind the additional traffic this will cause as shares generate braodcasts. I hope this helps.

Win2000 Network Clients

by c_alberts ·

Well, I have a similar structure, Win2K server, three Win2k pro stations. The majority of the other stations run 95/98.

I have had no problems accessing any of the workstations. I think the difference is that
      All the workstations are running as a workgroup. Maybe that could help you.

I’ll give it a go

by thetravman ·

In reply to Win2000 Network Clients

Thanks. I’ll try it and see what happens.

A Question before I try this.

by thetravman ·

In reply to Win2000 Network Clients

Are all of your workstations in a workgroup or just the 95/98 stations?
        If all are then how do you set up the 2000 stations to run in a workgroup from active directory?
        I’ve never found any mention of setting up a workgroup in 2000.
        Thanks.

Guest Account

by rogi ·

Firstly enable the guest account on the 2000 boxes. That way pass through wont be used. If your’e wanting more security create a user account for each of the Win95 users on each of the 2000 PC’s. Remember the exact Username and Password must be usedfor pass through to work. So this can be a major mission if a Win95 user changes his own password and then tries to access the 2000 Box again. Much simpler – enable the Guest Account…

RE: Guest Account

by rogi ·

In reply to Guest Account

Previous answer assuming their is no AD or Domain and you are in a workgroup enviro.

No Go

by thetravman ·

In reply to RE: Guest Account

Guest account already enabled with standard user access and I have active directory.
          No workgroups.
          Thanks anyway.

Your problem is not with WINS or DNS

by nichomach ·

If you can ping by hostname or IP from all your 2K and 95 machines, hostname resolution is working fine, so if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Likewise, mucking about with installing NetBEUI won’t help.
      The error is being blunt. It’s telling you that it’s a security issue, not name resolution. Is your sharing on the 95 based PCs share or user based?
      If share based, try switching to user-based, and telling them to get the account list from your domain.

Also check…

by nichomach ·

In reply to Your problem is not with WINS or DNS

MS Knowledgebase article Q169841

permissions

by gardbc ·

In reply to Also check…

If you have set the permissions to full, then did you assign a password to the account?
          Win2k doesn’t seem to like a “user” to have access without a password.
          I have seen this happen a couple of times. Since you can ping the PC in question, I would think it is a permission issue.
          Just a thought….

Did That

by thetravman ·

When this started I had the drives on the 95 machines user-based. The 95 machines even saw the active directory user names and let me choose who to give access to. I tried giving full access to everyone (even the world) but they still refused accessto them.
        Thanks and I’ll try the Microsoft Article you listed below.

Similar W98 WinME with 2K Server

by mmarcus ·

Microsoft has several Knowledgebase entries that appear related. My company is currently using static IP and DHCP is not the problem. It does appear to be a security issue and Microsoft is aware.

See:
        Q278558
        Q138365
        Q2772594

The answer for these is to call Microsoft for support (cannot find download for the Vredir.vxd files (Win98, Win98SE, WinME).

So far the PCs these are occuring on appear to be OEM versions of Windows. Note that this is not occuring with the Windows 2K Pro Clients.

okay, I didn’t read all the replies, but

by arg cio ·

do you have profiles setup on the Windows 9x PC’s? check user profiles.. log in to the Win9x machines locally with the same user id and password.. then try..

If you have network profiles.. check to make sure all settings in these are correct.
      Good luck, and happy hunting..

tci/ip applied twice

by dale ·

In reply to okay, I didn’t read all the replies, but

Our network is peer to peer and we assign ip addresses but once had a problem where you could ping the computer but it would not connect. Finally found two occurrences of tcp/ip running. Used ipconfig from the dos prompt to see them. Deleted bothand reinstalled the tcp/ip and it worked.

Good Luck

hope this helps

by rachaelpearl ·

In reply to okay, I didn’t read all the replies, but

I have had similar issues on a doman with 98 95 workstations. it would ask for a password to get acess to the shared drives or folders on the server or 2k systems. i had to create a user account on the windows 2k systems EXACTLY the same(user name and password) as the user logs on to the 98-95 systems. has to be exactly the same created a user acounts on the win 2k system.
        Good luck let me know if this helped

Still Using Win95 ?

by dbade ·

Since I don’t have any Win95 machines in my office anymore, I really can’t help to much. It does appear to be a permission problem though. Have you checked the network protocol binding against the network card on the WIN95 machine ? Check them all and make shure nothing is out of sink!

If you continue to have problems, do what you should have done earlier – UPGRADE and get away from Winows 95 –

Good Luck!

I wish we could.

by thetravman ·

In reply to Still Using Win95 ?

We would get rid of 95 but the piece of software we run will only run in 95 and no longer is supported for upgrades from the company that made it.
        I think you’re right about the permissions though. I just can’t find where it’s going wrong.
        Thanks.

Try it anyway

by dbade ·

In reply to I wish we could.

If you have an extra PC around, try it anyway. I have been told that before and only on a very rare occasion was the company correct. Unless it is very picky about video drivers, it will probabley work. I had only win95 and Dos programs running under NT4 Workstation. It just took a little fiddling around.

Good luck anyway.

Been There, Did That

by thetravman ·

In reply to Try it anyway

We already tried to get the program to run on Win Me and Win 2000 with no success. Tried everything in the settings to get it to run but no go.
          It’s setting up some kind of funky screen when it goes into the main part of the program and this is where it always messes up.
          It also uses a dongle which doesn’t like anything but 95.
          Thanks anyway.

Narrow down the problem

by dan ·

First, I assume what you mean by “see and access” is through network neighborhood. Also, that your working in a Workgroup with all clients in the same workgroup. Obviously, your network connectivity is good because you can ping, so? browsing must be what we?re talking about. Browsing is accomplished by the browser services of a WINx machine. Browsing is assisted through the WINS but WINS is not required. Browsing has nothing to do with DNS (in a mixed enviornment) or DHCP (as long as your static IP is ok and since you can ping, you should be ok) so let?s not consider these a problem.
      Second, WINS will help if your clients are on different subnets and speed up the name resolution. If you have a WINS server setup, make sure all your clients have their TCP/IP properties set for the WINS server so they will register with the WINS server when they boot. You can also use an LMHOSTS file if you?re familiar on how to use this. Again, just a tool, not a requirement.
      Since the second paragraph is just a tool, let?s look at the requirements.
      -WIN9x must have file and/or printer sharing enabled. You said you already did this.
      -NetBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled on the W2K machines.
      -WIN9x share permission should be per shareto make troubleshooting easier.
      -WIN95 network protocols must have the binding order with TCP/IP at the top.
      -WIN9x must be logged in as listed in Start/LogIN/OUT.
      These are the most common problems. Once you are sure you have these configured correctly, you should be able to determine your problem from here.

Thanks

by thetravman ·

In reply to Narrow down the problem

Thanks for the info. I’ll look at the 95 machine again but I think everything is already set as you suggest or has been during one test or the other.

windows2000

by lpc ·

try this one,Check the permission control in Windows 2000 server if the following accounts in your server is in the right ones.
      User Manager for domains…YOu said that only
      win 95 cannot access the win 2000 servers,,

tnx

Win 2000 and 95 Clients

by gklassen ·

I have had a similar problem although with Samba. I found that creating an LMHOSTS file in the Windows directory and rebooting the PC cleared up most of my problems. I don’t have an explanation and it is a pain to install a LMHOSTS file on each client but for me this worked.

Sync your speed of nic’s

by harm.groenendijk ·

I don’t know if it is of any help, i have the problem the other way around, can’t browse form win9x to win2k. Since you’re using win9x clients in your network changes are high that they run on 10Mb NIC’s. Win2k with new hardware wil run with there NIC’s on 100Mb. Set them fixed to 10Mb and see if they can connect. Other tip is try to connect from the old command prompt using the NETUSE command (NETUSE /? shows complete options).

No Go

by thetravman ·

In reply to Sync your speed of nic’s

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it but the speed did no good and when I tried the net use command I got the exact same message I get in network neighborhood.
        “The account is not authorized to log in from this station.”
        Any more ideas, please let me know.

ipx/spx

by k.yoda3 ·

Hi,
      Not sure if this applies but I had a problem with Win98 and W2K, found one solution in a manual for a NIC, install Microsoft’s ipx/spx compatible protocol. When I did that then everyone was able to see each other.
      Hope it helps….

Nope

by thetravman ·

In reply to ipx/spx

I had ipx/spx installed when this all started but disabled them thinking that they might be the problem. No such luck. So far I’ve had ipx/spx, Netbeui, Netbios over ipx/spx, Netbios over tcp/ip and probably every other combination there is.
        I’ve thought about standing on my head and chanting as a last resort.
        Thanks for the reply though.

I got answer from MSoft Knowledge base

by paul moorhouse ·

Cannot Connect to Password-Protected Share on Windows 95/98 Computer

The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
      Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
      Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
      Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
      Microsoft Windows NT Server versions 3.1, 3.5, 3.51, 4.0
      Microsoft Windows NT Workstation versions 3.1, 3.5, 3.51, 4.0
      Microsoft Windows 95
      Microsoft Windows 98

SYMPTOMS
      When you try to connect to a share on a computer running Windows 95 or Windows 98 from a Windows NT-based or Windows 2000-based computer that is either in a workgroup or not in the same domain, you may prompted for your user name and password. If the Windows 95/98-based computer is using share-level security with a password-protected share, it does not recognize your credentials.

RESOLUTION
      To gain access to the share, type Windows 95/98 computer name\administrator as the user account and the password for the share when you are prompted for your credentials. Substitute the computer name of the Windows 95/98-based computer for Windows 95/98 computer name.

MORE INFORMATION
      In Windows 95/98, you can specify share-level or user-level security for protecting shared resources on the computer. Share-level security requires file and printer sharing services.

Share-level security protects shared network resources on the computer with individually assigned passwords. For example, you can assign a password to a folder or a locally attached printer. If other users want to gain access to the shared resource, they must use the appropriate password. If you do not assign a password to a shared resource, every user with access to the network can gain access to the resource.

User-level security protects shared network resources by requiring that a security provider authenticate a user’s request to gain access to resources. The security provider

It doesn’t get that far

by thetravman ·

In reply to I got answer from MSoft Knowledge base

It never even allows me to get that far. It says I don’t have access to the computer. It won’t even let me see the shares, much less try to access them.
        Thanks anyway. I had read that article too.

What services have been installed?

by waynecsmith ·

Check the network services (file, print, directory) and where the authentication of the 95 boxes takes place…

Win 95 not visible from Win2k

by azam.quadri ·

I think the Win95 clients at the time of joining win2k domain should have the workgroup name same as the domain name so that they are listed in the browse list.

Win 95 not visible from Win2k

by azam.quadri ·

I think the Win95 clients at the time of joining win2k domain should have the workgroup name same as the domain name so that they are listed in the browse list.

Win 2000 and 95 Clients

by wmastokes ·

We had the same problem at our site. The Win95 machines could see everything but the Win2000’s couldn’t (through Network Neighborhood). What I did was have the Win2000 pc’s do a Start/Search/Files or Folders and choose “Computers”, then plug in the IP address of the Win95 PC’s and it would find them. You can make a link to them and share files if the Win95 PC’s have any shared folders set up.

You might try this and see if it works for you. Good Luck….

Wm A. (Tony) Stokes
      1/31/2001wmastokes@hotmail.com

YOU SIR ARE THE WINNER !!!!!!

by thetravman ·

O.K. This still hasn’t totally solved the problem but I was able to see and gain access to the shares.
        This must mean it’s a name resolution issue.
        Am I right?
        If anybody reads this reply let me know.

Browse vs. Connectivity Issue

by stephen.land ·

In reply to YOU SIR ARE THE WINNER !!!!!!

An earlier reply seemed to indicate that you were having a problem with connectivity to the Win95 PC. If you can connect to the Win95 PC by typing “\\PCName\SharedFolder” in the Start–>Run box, then the issue is network browsing. The MS TCP/IP stack is (and always has been) notorious for incomplete displays of network resources. One of the problems is that the Browse Master PC updates relatively infrequently. A workaround is to temporarily map a shared folder(s)on the Win9x PC to a drive letter on the Win2k PC. Afterward you can disconnect the drive. If it has been mapped long enough for the Browse Master PC to update its resource table, then the Win9x PC shared resources should be visible in Network Neighborhood.

Active Directory Service

by larry rutherford ·

I didn’t read all of these posts as I don’t have 99 years left in my life. I did read the titles and noticed no one brought up Active Directory as the issue. I recently read an article about AD and problems implementing it unless all servers and clients on the network are W2K. Maybe that is your problem. Try disabling AD. If you have already tried this, my apologies. Good Luck

Reposted

by gicu artistu’ ·

W2k & W95
          You said that you could ping it. Did you tried to use net use L: \\\share. If this doesn’t work maybe you have Win95 OSR2 with the “wierd” FAT32. Go back to normal FAT and it should work. If it still doesn’t work you have something with the browser master on your network (try to disable it from Win95 in the File and print sharing properties).

If it does work then you should check your Wins server.

Luck.

Security Providers

by amartin ·

Have you enabled File and Print sharing on the Win 95 boxes? By default it is not and though you can see the ’95 boxes on the network you will not be able to access them.

Also you may want to switch the Win95 boxes to User-level security and have the W2K Server be the security provider. This will allow you to assign access to shares to users or groups on the W2K Server machine. If the server is a domain controller then you would be able to assign permissions based on domain user accounts or groups.

LMHOSTS and WINS

by stait ·

In reply to Security Providers

Yes you are correct it’s a resolution problem.

I have struck something similar once before and it drove me insane for about a week.

Hopefully this may help, check for an LMHOST file, if you are running one check the entries very thoughly.

If I remember rightly (anyone feel free to correct me) the network browser server will check for entries in the LMHOSTS file before it uses WINS but if you just ping the hostname it will resolve from WINS before LMHOSTS (strange but true. So if you LMHOSTS contains an in correct ip address for the client or if you are using DHCP and the workstation has pick up a different ip than is in the LMHOSTS you would get the symptoms that you are describing.
        Anyway let me know how you go.

Cheers

Already did that.

by thetravman ·

In reply to Security Providers

All of those are already done.
        I got a post that didn’t solve the problem but it helped me to gain access.
        See the post from wmastokes@hotmail.com
        Thanks for the ideas.

WINS

by Anonymous ·

I was just doing some research about Win2k and I ran across a possible solution. Try checking your WINS setting.
      Right click My Network Places\Properties
      Right click Local Area Connection\Properties
      Select Internet Protocol (TCP\IP)
      PropertiesAdvanced
      WINS
      At the bottom of the window will be three options for NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
      Win2K has a default WINS setting of “Enable NetBios over TCP/IP”. If your box has a fixed IP or your network uses DNS only then you could disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. If you use a DHCP server then select “Use NetBIOS setting from the DHCP server”.

I think I may have it

by lanman52 ·

Cause:
      Some non-Microsoft SMB servers only support unencrypted (plain text) password exchanges during authentication.

The SMB client redirector in Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 3 and later including Win2K handles unencrypted passwords differentlythan previous versions of Windows NT. Beginning with Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 3, the SMB redirector does not send an unencrypted password during authentication to an SMB server unless you add a specific registry entry.

In previous versions, the client would automatically negotiate downward to unencrypted (plain text) authentication if requested from the server.

Resolution:
      to enable unencrypted (plain text) passwords for the SMB client on Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 3 and newer systems, modify the registry in the following way:

Run Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

From the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree, go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Parameters
      On the Edit menu, click Add Value.

Add the following:

Value Name: EnablePlainTextPassword
      Data Type: REG_DWORD
      Data: 1
      Click OK and then quit Registry Editor.

Shut down and restart Windows 2K.

Give this a try and let me know how itworks. I know it is not exactly what you mean but it might just work.

Lanman52@hotmail.com

NetBUI

by jlk@ams ·

Is NetBUI installed on all of the PC’s?

Win2000 and 95 Clients

by stevelotho ·

Hi,
      I think your problem is with the naming of the 95. If you have used this name before Win2000 retains the name somehow and will not release it.

If you change the name of your 95 to something else it should be able to log on to the network and see all the nodes in your network.

I had the same problem about a week ago.

Steve

Policy template

by jabettasso ·

I don’t know if this has been brought up yet, but if the high security policy template has been applied then win2000 pc’s will only be able to communicate with each other. Apply the basic workstation policy to fix communication to 9x clients .

couple of things to check…

by pammc ·

1) make sure File and Print sharing is turned on on the Win95 clients
      2) make sure you don’t ‘esc’ or bypass the network login (not the domain login but the ‘Windows’ login) on the Win95 clients
      Aside from that….I’d double check to make sure the Win95 machines have all the correct network settings (especially DNS and WINS), although it sounds like the problem is more related to access (thus my first two suggestions).

Win 2000 and 95 Clients

by ahmedhuda71 ·

on windows95 machine did you share the folder which you want to access from win2K machine. You can share by right clicking on folder(or drive) and select sharing option.

Do you have a firewall?

by techiwoman ·

I had a similiar problem with one of my
      clients and discovered it was his firewall.
      I could ping the machines, but could not
      access them.
      I also got a similar message. Best of luck.
      Techiwoman

No Firewall

by thetravman ·

In reply to Do you have a firewall?

I don’t have a firewall but thanks anyway.
        See post by wmastokes@hotmail.com for something that has me heading in the right direction. His suggestion worked as far as getting access but doesn’t quite solve the problem.

Hopefull solution

by ampl ·

Make sure that the latest service pack is installed on the Windows computers (both server and clients).

I have seen a similar issue before with NT and 3.11… I’d make sure that the NIC drivers are also up to date – primarily, make sure that the Win 2000 machines are using drivers designed for Windows 2000 and not 9x. You may also want to update the drivers for the NICs on the 9x clients also, just to be safe.

Another thing, manually add the names into the clients hosts and lmhost files for the servers. I have seen this issue with certain Samba share issues connecting to Linux systems.

See if you can find the server directly with Find -> Computer or by the IP address.

I’d have to research it a bit more, but I believe thatit could also be an encryption issue with the Domain name/passwords… Are any of the Win 2000 Servers acting as a PDC? If so, use the event viewer to make sure that the 95 machine is signing onto the domain correctly. I have encountered an issue where a few 95 machines weren’t correctly talking with an NT PDC… in my case, it turned out to be an incompatible set of NICs.

TCP settings

by cactus pete ·

Are the subnet mask and default gateway settings the same on both ends?

Is it a win95 problem?

by rbilyk ·

Don’t have a w2k server but had something similar with NT. Depending on which win95 you are running, check the version and datestamp of vserver.vxd. OSR1 and OSR2 have different versions of this file.
      OSR1 should be version 4.00.954 dated 4/24/97 108,288 bytes and OSR2 should be version 4.00.1112 dated 7/24/97 112,904 bytes.

Got this from an old MS support article, ID Q169841.

May not be this specifically, but have a feeling that the win95 machines are where you should be looking.

Good luck.
      roman@bilyk.com

Its about NetBIOS over TCP/IP

by gomes ·

Make sure your Win2k servers and clients are configured to support SMBs using NetBIOS over TCP/IP. Win95/NT4 etc all use NetBIOS over TCP/IP to communicate.

Ivan Gomes.

Its about NetBIOS over TCP/IP

by gomes ·

Make sure your Win2k servers and clients are configured to support SMBs using NetBIOS over TCP/IP. Win95/NT4 etc all use NetBIOS over TCP/IP to communicate.

Ivan Gomes.

Just try

by maznasor ·

You need to create an account for 95 clients
      in 2000 machines.

Don’t kick against the goads

by robert defazio ·

Depending on the number of workstations you are supporting, why not consider upgrading them to Windows 98/ME? Microsoft is dropping its support for Windows 95 (for good reason), so why should you continue to be a missionary furthering the cause of an OS that is about to become extinct in the eyes of the company that created it?

Windows 98/ME does not have these problems. If you insist on using Windows 95, identify all Windows 95 workstations where the problem does NOT exist. Determine theversion of Windows 95 running on those workstations, and make sure that all other workstations are using that same version. Also, be sure to apply all the applicable service packs for that version. (See below)

Finally, make sure that the sameprotocols are installed on all machines. If you are relying on the use of NetBEUI, make sure you have a WINS server set up on the network. If you are using TCP/IP, make sure everyone is on the same subnet, and make sure everyone has the same Winsock and vredir.vxd versions.

As a starting point, I would direct you to http://msdn.microsoft.com. Click the search tab, and enter Q132736 in the box. It will bring up a document that is a jumping off point for Windows 95 network issues. Then, go to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads and get all the downloads for your OS. There are 240 possible downloads, so be prepared to do some work in sifting out the ones you need from the ones you don?t. Moreover, when you download, be sure the download applies to your version of Windows 95.

The key is standardization of hardware/software configurations. I’m just a company president, but I know enough that no one wants to start out to be wrong. If it is at all possible, upgrade. If you can?t, you will have to support a system that was written when Active Directory Services had not yet even been conceived.

Can’t upgrade for the time being.

by thetravman ·

In reply to Don’t kick against the goads

We have to use the 95 machines because the program we use won’t run on anything else (tested on winMe and Win2000).
        We plan on getting away from this program in a few months but can’t at the moment.
        Incidentally, I had the same network issue with WinMe as I’m having with 95 so it’s not really a 95 problem. Just can’t find where the problem is.
        Thanks for the input though.

Win 95 group

by jmc4 ·

I’m not positive as I’ve not been on a 95 machine in a while. But, in addition to the domain that you can add to a 95 wkstn, there is ALSO another option that allows you to set a Windows 95 group membership whereby machines outside the group cannotsee in. This is set up somewhere in the client network properties. Sorry I can’t be more specific but again, it’s been a while for me on 95.

Jon

Thanks I’ll try it.

by thetravman ·

In reply to Win 95 group

I’ll look for it.
        Thanks.

Possible Solution?

by clacy ·

I have had a similar problem at my company.

I ended up adding user accounts to the win2000 server for the win92 clients and it seemed to fix the problem.

From the Microsoft KBase…

by geosean ·

The MS KBase describes a couple of different situations that sound VERY much like this.
      Go hit http://search.support.microsoft.com and then request the following articles:

Domain Browsing with TCP/IP and LMHOSTS Files Article ID: Q150800

“Access Denied” Accessing Windows 95 Share from Windows NT 4.0 Article ID: Q169841

Good luck…

Thanks. I’ll try looking there.

by thetravman ·

In reply to From the Microsoft KBase…

Wow. It’s getting time consuming reading all of the posts and trying all of these things but eventually somebody’s gonna get it.
        Thanks for the suggestion.

Trace route

by john_knickerbocker@altico ·

Trace the route between your computer and the other computer in order to look for a faulty router.

it aint funny anymore is it…

by ezmoney ·

In reply to Trace route

trav, similar problem here 98 machines lease address from dhcp, but then will not logon nor can you ping anything. Solution was to set dhcp lease to 0 days and force all machines to renew lease. The mess just keeps piling up when you mix w2k with legacy systems.
        I have one subnet using w2k for nat / and nt4 bdc that some 98 machines wont browse but others work fine with the same setting (go figure). I think it’s a personal plot by the big G man to drive us all a little crazy. And it’s working to.

Kinda similar.

by thetravman ·

In reply to it aint funny anymore is it…

What’s weird is I can ping by name and address and it finds the computer.
          I can browse in network neighborhood and it sees the computer.
          I can try to access it from the network neighborhood or net use and get the same access denied error.
          Thanks for the suggestions.

I think I tried that.

by thetravman ·

In reply to Trace route

If you’re talking about tracert then I did that. When I did it by name it gave me the IP address instantly. When I gave it the IP address it returned the name instantly.
        Same thing that ping does because it’s not routing through anything. Least I don’t think it is. Should it be?
        Thanks.

Winsock 2.0

by swetbak ·

Try installing WinSock 2.0 Installer for Win95. Q184242 on Microsoft.
      Good luck.

LAN Manager Authentication level

by johnnyextreme ·

Check your computer policy / security options for LAN Manager Authentication Level on the Win2K server or the individual 2000 machines. Win95 and pre-sp3 NT clients cannot authenticate using NTLM or NTLMv2, so this option should be set to “Send LM & NTLM responses”

Protocols

by cail ·

Make sure they all have the same workgroup name and have enable file sharing if files need to be access. Also make sure the Netbui protocol is installed

Already Done.

by thetravman ·

In reply to Protocols

All of those already done but thanks for the input.

try this, its a long shot.

by lkrause ·

I remember back in the day of hybrid networks, we had 2 dell laptops that would see NT mahcines but not vice-versa, i think all it took was this:
      goto network properties then
      edit the microsoft network client
      then make sure that browse master isdisabled because this caused conflict on our NT domain with the polling the 95 machines acted like browse master when a PDC should win all polls, so try this and it may need to learn the network, but be sure all 95 machines have this changed. Let meknow what happens
      -lucas krause

Already did it but thanks.

by thetravman ·

In reply to try this, its a long shot.

Already done this right at the first but thanks anyway for the input.

what about file allocation ?

by chaosad ·

question ?
      how are your hard disks formated and under what fat table are they formated for ?
      have you tried reformating the 95 clients
      using large disk support !
      if you find your solution to this problem please let me know !

Not a format problem.

by thetravman ·

In reply to what about file allocation ?

I can get into the computer by going to
        Start/Search for computers and entering the IP address instead of the name of the computer. This hasn’t solved the problem as far as browsing but I know I can get into the 95 machines and read from the drives.
        Thanks anyway.

Win2000 and win95 “fighting each other”

by blue_ice_4u ·

The lkast time i worked on a win2000 server and had win95 client workstation, the only way i was able to get the win95 to be seen was to place the win95 machines on first, and then the rest of the network and then it was able to see them. for some reason win2000 will look at win2000 workstations only, but if you place the win95 online first then it should work..

Browse Master?

by paddle ·

On the 95 machines, do you have Browse Master disabled? I’ve had a similar problem on an NT network when that feature is enabled. Apparently the NT server and the 95 workstation fight over who is the Browse Master and the 95 machines give up.

Ihaven’t read all the responses so you may have already tried this.

HTH

Already done.

by thetravman ·

In reply to Browse Master?

Already disabled but thanks for the input.

Simaler Problem

by nicholas mackintosh ·

We have the simaler problem,we battle to access our Win98 workstations from our 2K servers.The servers can see the client but often when connecting over the network they browse for a few minutes before you can connect to the workstation.I have foundthat typing in the path to that workstation and the shared folder makes it a lot faster.

File format

by velasco53 ·

Are you using same format? such is FAT win95/98 and W2k FAT or Win95 with FAT and W2k with NTFS. If you are using diferent formats that might be the main reason.

second you have to use same communication protocols.

remember compatibility of formats is only valid among clients.
      servers can be either NTFS OR FAT.
      FAT MACHINES CAN NOT ACCESS NTFS, BUT NTFS CAN ACCESS FAT.

It’s not a format issue.

by thetravman ·

In reply to File format

As suggested in an earlier post I can go to
        Start/Search for Computers and enter the IP address of the 95 machines and read from them just fine so I know I can read the files on the offending machines. I just can’t browse network neighborhood and get access to them.
        Thanks anyway.

Solved the problem !

by hakkinen ·

I had the same problem with my network.
      I have installed Linux Red Hat on the server
      and all the computers are fine now, no matter what version of Windows I use !
      Linux Red Hat is distributed for free !

Looooooser!!!

by gomes ·

In reply to Solved the problem !

What a looser reply! Its out of the scope of the solution required!

Don’t people’s time

by lanman52 ·

I agree. This posting shouldn’t be here. If we are going to fill the postings with useless suggestions then why bother. The whole argument that Linix is a more stable, faster enviroment is crap. Mabey you switched to Linix so no one at your work cantell you don’t know what you are doing.

I AGREE WITH LAN MAN

by chaosad ·

In reply to Don’t people’s time

Throwing the thing about linux in here has nothing to do with the issue at hand ! My self am interested in the travmans problem and would like to LEARN FROM IT AND ABOUT IT NOT CHANGE SEATS ON THE TITANIC ! SO PLEASE GET FOCUSED AND HELP THE COMMUNITY OUT !

Agree?

by berx ·

In reply to I AGREE WITH LAN MAN

Of course I agree, there is NO PLACE for that comment in this discussion!!

That’s not solution

by jcgarciaplua ·

You are right, the Linux is free and very good, but you change your network, that required capacited the human resources and others costs.

Try this

by wegerc ·

First and foremost.. You dont have to add the computer to ADS..
      Obviously, you have ADS installed if it was mentioned.. am I correct? if so, check the Client for Microsoft Networking properties and make sure the domain name is there.. then on the last tab, of the network properties (forgot the name of the tab, security or something), and check off the user permissions and select NT Domain.. My wording may not be exactly accurate as far as what the screen may actually say, im at an NT workstation right now.
      This will enable the domain permissions to the computer and it will join the domain. 95/98 clients dont need to be added to the domain.
      Hope this helps.
      Chris Weger
      MCSE, CCA

by johnnyextreme ·

When you attempt to connect to a share on a Windows 95 based computer from a Windows NT 4.0 workstation or server or Windows 2000, the connection attempt may not succeed and you may receive an Access Denied error message if the following conditions exist:
      1. Windows 95 peer server has user-level security enabled (instead of share-level security), and the security provider is a Windows NT domain. 2. You are attempting to connect using a UNC name ( \\ servername\sharename ) instead of mapping adrive letter to the share. 3. The Windows NT 4.0 workstation or server has Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 installed. This behavior can also occur with Windows 98-based computers connecting to Windows 95 based computers, and from Win95 with the DFSclient installed talking to Win95. This problem is caused by an interoperability problem between Windows NT 4.0 SP2 or SP3 and Windows 95. Windows NT 4.0 with SP2 or SP3 makes a connection using a null user name, which Windows 95 acting as a server does not handle correctly. You can resolve by using drive letter mapping or update the problem executable on Win95 peer server. For Win95 and OSR1 acting as server by updating VSERVER.VXD with : VSERVER.VXD version 4.00.954 dated 4/24/97 108,288 bytes. For Win95 OSR2 and OSR 2.x, you need: VSERVER.VXD version 4.00.1112 dated 7/24/97 112,904 bytes

possibility

by cactus pete ·

I was doing some other research and came accross this:

Win95 and OSR1 acting as server by updating VSERVER.VXD with :

VSERVER.VXD version 4.00.954 dated 4/24/97 108,288 bytes

For Win95 OSR2 and OSR 2.x, you need:

VSERVER.VXD version 4.00.1112 dated 7/24/97 112,904 bytes

Viewing 59 reply threads