General discussion

Win 2000 and PCI Modem

By nt30 ·
I recently installed Win 2000 on a Compaq Prolinea 5133 (pentium, bus speed 133 MHZ, 64mb ram). Everything works fine but have been having problems trying to install the modem. First modem would not find the com port. Now that I downloaded driversfor the modem from the Internet (win2000) the modem got installed. When I run the diagnostic test it works perfectly. It is on Com Port 3 and IRQ 11. When I try to go online (AOL 5.0) it processes the call but as soon as the connection is made the whole system goes into warm boot i.e. it shuts down by itself.
Does anybody have any ideas why it is doing that.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Win 2000 and PCI Modem

by rockyolson In reply to Win 2000 and PCI Modem

Hi I would guess it's becausse com1& 3 share irq's. You will have to reasign the modem to com 2 or 4 to make it work. rockyolson@charter.net

Collapse -

Win 2000 and PCI Modem

by nt30 In reply to Win 2000 and PCI Modem

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Win 2000 and PCI Modem

by felipe In reply to Win 2000 and PCI Modem

Com1 and com share do share IRQ's and can cause a lockup but only whaen they share IRQ 4.
Your problem is the driver is loading into an area of memory that AOL is also loading to. Uninstall the driver and uninstall AOL, then re-install the driver and re-install AOL.
If still warm booting, possibly AOL is loading to a bad area of memory. In this case, replace your ram chips. This is more likely since Win2000 uses HAL and will simply crash the offending program not your computer. But try the first step first.

Collapse -

Win 2000 and PCI Modem

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Win 2000 and PCI Modem

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Desktop Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)