General discussion

Win 2000 Automatic Updates won't install

By mjrepublicano ·
I have 2 W2K PCs in my environment that will no longer install Microsoft's Automatic Updates. I receive notification that upadates are available, but when I try to download them, I get an error code KB892130. I researched this and found that the Background Intelligent Transfer Service in not running automatically on each PC. However, when I try to manually start that service, I get error code 2147942402. I checked the code on MS site, and they list 2 "fix" scenarios for the BITS not running, neither of which fixed the problem. These are both Dell PCs, running W2K SP4. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Craig321 In reply to Win 2000 Automatic Update ...

Try the system file checker utility, you might have corrupt system files.

Start > Run > cmd then type
sfc /scannow
cgesicki@yahoo.com

Collapse -

by Craig321 In reply to

you might also want to check windowsupdate log

Windows Update log file is located in C:\WINDOWS

Collapse -

by mjrepublicano In reply to

System files ok. Didn't fix problem.

Collapse -

by ctrservices In reply to Win 2000 Automatic Update ...

Turn off Automatic Updates, navigate to C:\winnt and rename SoftwareDistribution, turn on Automatic Updates. Then try to update the pc.

Collapse -

by mjrepublicano In reply to

Didn't fix problem.

Collapse -

by mjrepublicano In reply to Win 2000 Automatic Update ...

Contacted Microsoft, sent them screen shots as requested. They said that problem was caused by a Registry error. MS Sent me a registry key. Entered the Registry Key, restarted PCs and now Background Intellegent Transfer Service running normally. Accessed the MS Update Website and downloaded and installed updates with no problems.
Thanks to those who responded, but since neither response was correct, I feel that I cannot award any points.

Collapse -

by mjrepublicano In reply to Win 2000 Automatic Update ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)