General discussion

Win 2000 back to Win 98se,

By raticus ·
I am trying to take a pentium II, 350 mhz, 3gb hd From win 2000 back to win 98se, formatted back to fat 32 but on trying to set up 98. Error "scandisk encountered a data error while reading the fat 32 entry for cluster 319248. This error prevents scandisk from fixing this drive."

Any Idea's ?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Breydel In reply to Win 2000 back to Win 98se ...

A couple of possibilities I can imagine ...

Did you fdisk the drive before reformatting ?
I would always suggest this, especially when going backward with windows versions.
However, be very cautious in using fdisk as you need to make sure you use a version which supports large partitions. (Win98se version should be OK).

Another possibility is an actual hardware problem with the disk, in which case I would advise running the diagnostic tools provided by the harddrive manufacturer.

Collapse -

by raticus In reply to

Boot Disk win 98se worked great when I let it FDISK/mbr then Format c:/u/s. I had tried to do it with my boot sequence a mess and from cd drive. Had chosen large partitions. Thanks for such quick reply

Collapse -

by Absolutely In reply to Win 2000 back to Win 98se ...

Not a real hardware program if Win 2000 was running successfully. What you need is FDISK on a floppy because it does not run dependably from CD on systems with NTFS disks. If 2000 is still running, insert the Win98 CD and make FDISK from the menu there. I believe it's in Add/Remove Programs, or maybe Add/Remove Windows Components, and it's called something like make a rescue disk or boot disk, but it has been a long time since I installed 98.

If 2000 is not still running, the easiest option is to find another computer running 98, 95, or possibly Millennium, but I'm not sure what support for FDISK is in Millennium. I do know that NT never had the tool to make FDISK floppies.

Collapse -

by raticus In reply to

Win 2000 was not running successfully, user nicknamed their computer ?torture machine?
Boot Disk win 98se worked great when I let it FDISK/mbr then Format c:/u/s. Thanks for such quick reply

Collapse -

by raticus In reply to Win 2000 back to Win 98se ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)