General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Win 2000 Cal licence

by step77 ·

Silly question, I think it is, but how does the win 2000 Server 5 Cal work? I really thought that I could put win 2000 on 4 other computers but I don’t really know. Always used a peer to peer before. I guess that I can use the server and have 4 other systems using it as a file and application server. Otherwise, I can’t see the benefits. I have 5 systems in a small office network. Ta.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Win 2000 Cal licence

by pc101 ·

In reply to Win 2000 Cal licence

Basically a CAL (Client Access Licence) “legally” allows a client connect to a Win2k Server. As you have mentioned you have 5 CAL’s so 5 Clients can use the Windows 2000 Server as a file/print server. CAL’s don’t allow you to put Win2k on other systems.

hth

Win 2000 Cal licence

by alpha-male ·

These are “client” licenses…not SERVER licenses. They allow you to have multiple (5 in this case) CLIENTS connect to the server simultaneously. The idea of a server is it provides functionality to a group of users. These licenses are what they useto be allowed that access.

Hope this helps!

Win 2000 Cal licence

by step77 ·

Thanks, worked it out as well. Blame it on bad mouth ulcers Still have to work out the server model though. Good learning curve i hope.

Steve.

Viewing 2 reply threads