General discussion

Win 2000 Cal licence

By step77 ·
Silly question, I think it is, but how does the win 2000 Server 5 Cal work? I really thought that I could put win 2000 on 4 other computers but I don't really know. Always used a peer to peer before. I guess that I can use the server and have 4 other systems using it as a file and application server. Otherwise, I can't see the benefits. I have 5 systems in a small office network. Ta.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Win 2000 Cal licence

by PC101 In reply to Win 2000 Cal licence

Basically a CAL (Client Access Licence) "legally" allows a client connect to a Win2k Server. As you have mentioned you have 5 CAL's so 5 Clients can use the Windows 2000 Server as a file/print server. CAL's don't allow you to put Win2k on other systems.

hth

Collapse -

Win 2000 Cal licence

by Alpha-Male In reply to Win 2000 Cal licence

These are "client" licenses...not SERVER licenses. They allow you to have multiple (5 in this case) CLIENTS connect to the server simultaneously. The idea of a server is it provides functionality to a group of users. These licenses are what they useto be allowed that access.

Hope this helps!

Collapse -

Win 2000 Cal licence

by step77 In reply to Win 2000 Cal licence

Thanks, worked it out as well. Blame it on bad mouth ulcers <g> Still have to work out the server model though. Good learning curve i hope.

Steve.

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)