General discussion

Win 2000 install no access to floppy

By paulsrh ·
i have just loaded win 2000 pro onto my system at home (K6-2-400 on soltek sl54u1 motherboard) i cannot get access to the floppy in windows. it doesn't even show a floppy in list of drives avalible. can anyone help me!!!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by maxwell edison In reply to Win 2000 install no acces ...

Greetings,

According to this Microsoft article:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/recommended/default.asp

(REMOVE SPACES if they snuck into the pasted URL)

Winbond Super I/O Update:
This update addresses an issue in Windows2000 running on Compaq computer systems that use the Winbond Super I/O disk controller to access the floppy disk drive, and is discussed in Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q301077. Download now to prevent your computer from erroneously reporting that there is no floppy disk in the floppy disk drive.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/recommended/q301077/default.asp

Good luck,

Maxwell

Collapse -

by maxwell edison In reply to Win 2000 install no acces ...

By the way, you'll need to download that update.

And, even though the article referrs to "Compaq", other MBs may have the same I/O controller which causes the problem.

Regards,

Maxwell

Collapse -

by paulsrh In reply to Win 2000 install no acces ...

The drive itself is not recognised no icon or anything! the winbond patch didn't do anything!

Collapse -

by tstobbe In reply to Win 2000 install no acces ...

Is the drive recognized when your pc boot(like in the bios)? If it's not shown there you could have a bad cable, or floppy drive. Also check the power, and make sure the data cable is plugged in properly.

Collapse -

Yes the floppy works in bios no problem. i found the driver in windows 2000 and it says stopped next to it, any ideas?

Collapse -

by tstobbe In reply to Win 2000 install no acces ...

Well if it says that it's stopped, a guess would be it's running as a service. I couldn't find anything on my pc that would say a driver is stopped. I wouldn't even think it would be an issue with the driver since floppy drives are standard. Maybe a fresh install of windows could help, or trying to find where to enable. If you could please tell me where it says the driver is stopped and I might have more ideas.

Collapse -

It syas it in drivers folder in software environment folder under system info in computer management in admin tools in control panel.

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums