General discussion

Win 2000 keep restarting during upgrade

By bmcafee ·
I am in the middle of upgrading from ME to 2000 Pro. When the upgrade process start to perform final tasks, at the step UPGRADES PROGRAM AND SYSTEM SETTING, the PC will restart without displaying any error message. It will start back at performing final tasks again, at the step INSTALLS START MENU ITEMS. It will register components, and then restart during the step UPGRADES PROGRAM AND SYSTEM SETTING. Only two steps after that are remaining: SAVES SETTINGS, REMOVES ANY TEMPORARY FILES USED.

There were programs that were incompatible with Windows 2000 on the computer which were reported by the Win 2000 upgrade process.

PC: Compaq Presario 5000

How do I complete this upgrade?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by mikex In reply to Win 2000 keep restarting ...

what kind of file system did you choose during the install?

Probably it's the best decision to make a clean install

Collapse -

by bmcafee In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by bmcafee In reply to Win 2000 keep restarting ...

I choose not to upgrade the file system to NTFS.

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Win 2000 keep restarting ...

i would go to compaq website and get latest rompaq for my system and see what they had to say about my model and windows 2000. you have bios level virus checking turned off, yes?

Collapse -

by bmcafee In reply to

Collapse -

by queen1 In reply to Win 2000 keep restarting ...

Assuming this machine meets the hardware compatiability required by w2k if not please check:http://tinyurl.com/56fhp
Upgrade from winME to w2k pro is unsupported by microsoft:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q272627 You may end up copying what you want to keep to a cd, then format the drive and do a clean install.

Collapse -

by bmcafee In reply to

Collapse -

by glyall In reply to Win 2000 keep restarting ...

queen1 is right on the mark.
Before you start get all the drivers for your PC and burn them to a CD. Make a check list of drivers.
All motherboard drivers, video, audio, modem/ ehternet, usb, mouse ( if other than the 2 standard 2 button), and others as needed. And SCSI if needed.
Installing Win2000 do a clean install, so that you do not have problems caused by Win ME. If you just update you will have problems and them will be hard to fix.

Good Luck

Collapse -

by bmcafee In reply to

Collapse -

by bmcafee In reply to Win 2000 keep restarting ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)