General discussion

Win 2000 logon time

By donj ·
I have a brand new laptop Dell D600 running win 2k. I run it on a simple peer to peer LAN. The problem is that it takes 3 minutes for the log-on window to appear after the win 2k color page, loading windows,disappears. There are only two profiles set up default administrator and 1 user.
What are the recommended diagnostic steps.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Win 2000 logon time

how is your anti-virus protection? get that up to date and scan...
also put on all windows service packs (2000 is up to sp4 now) and critical updates...
sorry, i don't know this one...i'd try lots of things to see if i could affect the problem...if you disconnect the network cable does it make any difference? after you get logged in, does everything work fine then? did it ever work right?

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to

...and check the event log, is anything in there?

Collapse -

by donj In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by donj In reply to Win 2000 logon time

Yes everything works fine once logged on, 2003 norton works has benn installed and scanned hard drive,
and all windows 2000 updates have been downloaded and installed.
Defrag has been sucessfully run twice.
No it makes no difference wheter the network cable is plugged in or not and makes no difference if logon as administrator or user.

Collapse -

by Curacao_Dejavu In reply to Win 2000 logon time

The dns entries are wrong.
They are pointing to a dns that is not in your internal network. remove them and set them to automatic detect dns.

Leopold

Collapse -

by donj In reply to

Collapse -

by gaynorh In reply to Win 2000 logon time

This is just an idea. Without knowing all the network info it might be hard. I suggest the next time you login go to Microsoft updates and see if they have any driver updates for your network card.

Collapse -

by donj In reply to

Collapse -

by donj In reply to Win 2000 logon time

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)