General discussion

Win 2000 NTFS Permissions?

By gnortje ·
We have recently installed a new file server on our network. Our first file server was Windows NT4 SP6 with Share and NTFS permissions.

After installing a new Windows 2000 server, we copied all data over from the NT server. We then applied teh same share and NTFS permissions on the '2000 server.

Our problem now is that everytime a user creates a new folder/file on the '2000 server, nobody (not even the person who created it)can access that file or folder. We then have to take ownership ofthat file/folder and then apply or let the the permissions filter through to the rest of the structure below it.

How can we rectify this?

Our default settings:
Domain Admins = Full Control
Other Groups = Change permissions

Any help/pointers would be appreciated.

Thank you
Ghaleed

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Windows 2000 NTFS Permissions

by danielv In reply to Win 2000 NTFS Permissions ...

Hello Ghaleed@intec.co.za

I had the same problem also when I added my W2K server into a NT 4.0 network. What I did was to copied over my folders/files in sections and then
blew away the permissions that came over and individually re-assigned thepermission to those folders and files only. Remember, in W2k what ever
permission you assign to your current folder, if you don' take off the "inherit" check, it will filter down to your remaining folders. Also, check
your event viewer because you might be getting a
W32Time error also. This is a synchronization problem when your W2K server and NT 4.0 try to
sync up. Check out Q258059 out on the microsoft website for more....Hope this helps

Collapse -

Inheritance

by vyeth In reply to Win 2000 NTFS Permissions ...

What about inheriting the rights from the parendt object

vikram

Back to IT Employment Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)