General discussion

Win 2000 PPTP on NT 4 Server

By KHart ·
I am using PPTP(Win 2000 Pro) via the internet to connect to a WinNT 4.0 domain. I can connect to the domain via PPTP and browse the domain, I can ping machines, I can map network drives. However, I am not really logged in to NT, my log on scripts are not run and I cannot access resources on the domain like I should if I would have receieved a true NT logon. For instance, I am trying to use a remote control product that uses NT authentication and it will not let me because it says I don't have proper permissions.
How can I log into PPTP, see the network, browse the network, but not be authenticated?
I would like for my logon scripts to run and get authenticated. Please help.
Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jodyc In reply to Win 2000 PPTP on NT 4 Ser ...

Do you have a WINS server and does your Win2k workstation have the entry in its network properties for it ? I had a simular problem with exchange 5.5 over RAS.

Jody

Collapse -

by KHart In reply to Win 2000 PPTP on NT 4 Ser ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Iulian Costache In reply to Win 2000 PPTP on NT 4 Ser ...

1)Create a connection to the internet (if you connect via internet you already have one)
2)Create the pptp tunnel and set it to dial the above connection first
3) Log off.
4) At log on press ctrl+alt+del (if it asks), click on options to view allthe options and check "Use Dial-up connections" and select the VPN CONNECTION!!!.
This will automatically try to connect trough the tunnel but if you set the tunnel to dial first to the internet you will now have these steps when you click ok:
- computer dials internet
- computer sets up tunnel
- computer logs on trough tunnel
- you are now authenticated in domain
NOTE: set up your W2k Pro to log on the NT domain first.
Good luck.
Let me know if you need further assistance.

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)