General discussion

Win 2000 Pro S P4 Win Modem

By nsktawwaab ·
I am rinning Win 2000 Pro w/Service Pack 3, on a DELL Inspiron 7000 laptop. I had installed SP4; but, my modem(LT Win Modem) stopped working and would not connect to the Internet, and any search inquries frooze my browser for 1-2 min. except when I used Firefox. Since then, I have reverted to SP3. My modem works, but still have a problem with search boxes. Microsoft "Windows update," insist I downoad this update before allowing others downloads from its site. I have tried everything I know even,contacting other sites icl. Microsoft with no results.
How do I resolve this SP4/Win modem problem?

Thanks in Advance,

Abd'al-Karim

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by B_Pope In reply to Win 2000 Pro S P4 Win Mo ...

I'd suggest a firmware update to version 5.02 or greater as noted on this site
http://www.56k.com/reports/ltfaq.shtml

As for Microsoft, you should install SP4 as well as the SP4 rollup 1 version2 KB891861

To get Windows 2000 SP4 use the link below & click on the GO button on the right, this will take you to a new page & then choose network install to download the file to your PC without installing it.

I suggest doing this with all Windows updates so you have a copy for future re-installs, if you have no problems accessing the Windows update site, then you can also download any update via the KB search.

Collapse -

by B_Pope In reply to
Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Win 2000 Pro S P4 Win Mo ...

sounds like a virus/spyware to me. not your modem. the symptom of Searching in IE and Windows Update.
bet you can't get norton antivirus installed either.
you'll need at least Ad-Aware SE, HiJackThis and a Norton Anti-Virus type product.
You may need a second 'rescue' installation to get 2000 'dead' enuf to clean.
install, update (you may have to get creative on this due to no internet access. such as downloading the product updates from another computer that works and burning a cd. )
Anyhow, start with Ad-Aware. Scan and remove everything it finds. then scan again. write down what is left behind, especially pathnames. you will have to adjust security on some virus/spyware spawned folders to delete them. I've had some I could only get rid of with old old dos based file manager utility.
HiJack this will show you more about what's left plus show you how your Search is getting hijacked.
You can remove the obvious then post the log of what is left at the hijack pro support site for details on how to remove the stubborn stuff. good luck

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)